We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Locations?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Locations?

I am considering the following 2 hotels for a stay in Rome and am wondering which would offer the most central location for walking to most of the main sights.

One is the Splendide Royal located near the Spanish Steps and the Via Veneto area and the other is Santa Maria in the Trastevere area.

Any other suggestions for good hotels would also be appreciated. Thanks.

scarpenter4
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Locations?

I was just in Rome for my first time and stayed in 2 different but similar locations.

I like to walk and find that both of your choices are more towards the edge of where you may want to be. I feel that the Piazza Navona is by far the best location as you can walk in all directions and there is something you'd probably want to see.

It is my understanding that many people like Trastevere for the bars and restaurants - and from Piazza Navona it is a fairly easy walk.

I think the Spanish Steps area is known for the better stores and that also is an easy walk from Piazza Navona...but in opposite directions.

If you walk to the Spanish Steps from Piazza Navona you can also see the Parthenon and the Trevi Fountain...it is a very well traveled route.

Also from Piazza Navona you can walk to the Vatican and the Tiber River...

Anyway that is how I found it....there are many other sites you can walk to (or I did anyway)

When I first decided to make this trip, many friends advised me to stay in Trastevere and I made and kept reservations until I started to explore this Rome Forum

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Locations?

I would say the distance to attractions is about the same for both of your choices or at least close enough that you could make your choice based on other qualities each has to offer: price, amenities, ambiance etc. The Splendide is much more lush and the Spanish Steps/Veneto area is very elegant, if you prefer shops and, more tourists than "neighborhood" feel.

The Santa Maria is very simple by comparison, more rustic than polished. Many people prefer this type of accomodation for its homey feel, and the neighborhood is charming, but less polished than the via veneto, to be sure.

Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Locations?

Thank you both for your comments and recommendations. I will definitely take a look at suitable hotels in the Piazza Navona area as well before making a decision.

I am aware of the differences between the hotels I have mentioned but didn't know much about the neighborhoods they were in. Thanks again for your help.

4. Re: Hotel Locations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 15:16