We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SCAVI and Vatican

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Topic
SCAVI and Vatican

Will be in Rome for 3.5 days in Oct (arriving on a Sun around noon and leaving am Thursday). Originally plan to do the Vatican (museum / basilica etc) on the Tuesday as I heard that Monday can be quite crowded in the Vatican museum and planning to book the 10:30am tour for Tuesday with the Vatican.

I just got a confirmation from the scavi office and had the scavi tour arranged at 11:30am on the Monday!!! So these are my alternate plans:

Spend one whole day in Vatican

Basilica then scavi then get a 2:00pm Vatican tour

But…will that be cramming too much in one day? Too rushed?

Or should I:

Basilica then scavi and spend the afternoon elsewhere like colosseo / forum and have Vatican on the next day?

Any advise????

TopBike Rental & Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Bike Tours
City Wonders
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
Stefano's RomeCabs
Historical & Heritage Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Italy Segway Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Segway Tours, Private Tours
Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: SCAVI and Vatican

I think all Vatican in one day makes more sense. I did something very close to your plan a few months ago, and although it made for a long day and I was pretty tired by the end, I was glad I did it. The Scavi tour I was on was a little earlier, and we ended up finishing in the Vatican museums around 5 PM.

Since your time in Rome is short, you are wise to group things together by location so you don't spend so much of your day crossing town.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SCAVI and Vatican

I second it! :)

Ciao Daniela

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SCAVI and Vatican

If you just want to "see" everything, I agree, but I will just add that if you are a fan of art and would enjoy relaxing and having time to walk through various museums of the Vatican and see the Sistine Chapel, I would go with your second plan. Likely, from your hotel, the museums are just a cab ride away, but you may really enjoy not rushing.

kcmo
Level Contributor
253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SCAVI and Vatican

All- we'll do SCAVI at 11:30 and it will end about 1pm I guess. I want to book Vatican tour with the Vatican but it starts at 2 and they want you there early.

Considering where you exit from Scavi and where you start the Vatican tour will we have enough time to eat a very quick bite and get in the Vatican tour line 15-30 minutes before the 2 pm start time?

I am thinking maybe I will have to do an AngelTour instead if they would start us at 3 pm so we didn't have to rush so. As you know you get no choice on SCAVI tour time!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SCAVI and Vatican

Hello Jbates,

Yes, you will have plenty of time to get a quick bite and get to the entrance of the museums. It is a 10-15 minute walk and there are restaurants along the way. You might just want to stop into a sandwich shop and get a quick sandwich and drink instead of a sit down lunch. You won't have to wait in the line (if there is one at that time of day) to the museums with your tour confirmation. This will help out with your time constraint. You might also want to take a cab for the quick ride. It should cost no more than 5 euros from the scavi entrance to the musuem entrance.

Donna

6. Re: SCAVI and Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 18:15