We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

I'll be in Rome Nov 27th thru Dec 2nd. I want to spend a block of time (4-5 hours) in the Vatican museums, as I've done tours before and never felt I had a chance to just wander and see what I'm most interested in.

I've heard the Museums close early, but when I look at the official website, I can't find anything about winter hours. Can someone help me out? Has this changed? It would be great if I knew that I could show up at 1pm and still have plenty of time.

Is it still true that Wednesdays and Fridays are the least crowded?

Will the lines be a little shorter this time of year? If they are terribly long, and hours are indeed shortened, I think I will try to book the official Vatican tour to jump the line and then just strike out on my own. If I do this, can I still get the audiophones? (I won't be going on to St Peters, as I hope to do that first thing in the morning...)

thanks for any help for this art lover!!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

The museum stays open later than it used to in the winter. On Dec 9, 2006 I waited one hour and 40 min in the line to get inside in the morning. this was the first time I actually got in side. I had previously tried twice in feb 2005, and never got in before they closed at 1 pm at that time.

I have heard that there can often be no line to get in if you go in the afternoon.

Here are the 2008 Vatcain Musuem hours

…vatican.va/3_EN/…MV_Info_Orario.html

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

I took the Vatican museum tour. it only lasted 2 hours. it was good. You see the Sistine Chapel at the end, hand in your headphones and walk back along the Long March to wander until they kick out out.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

I took the tour in feb 2008. The musem was open in the winter same hours that are shown on the calendar: till 4-5 pm.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
303 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know they've extended the regular hours; that will really help! I feel more comfortable with my plan to be in line by 1pm and have plenty of time inside.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

I wouldn't expect to find long lines at that time of year. The 9th of December is one day after a holiday when the museum is closed. In addition, the 8th is a religious holiday, which brings a lot of people to Rome. I think that's a bit atypical.

6. Re: Late Nov/Early Dec Vatican Museum strategy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:17