We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jewish Rome

wayne, new jersey
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Jewish Rome

Will be on cruise and in Rome for one day. Would like to see the Jewish quarter and Synagogue. Need imput as to how to do from ship, and perhaps local tour guide.

United States
Level Contributor
9,623 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jewish Rome

There are many posts with instructions on how to get from the cruise port into Rome usually ending up at the Termini train station. Search in the little box for cruise port to Rome.

This is the Jewish Ghetto guide that is recommended in the Rick Steves books. I don't know how expensive she is but our private guide was 50 EUR/hr for 3 people.

http://www.jewishroma.com/jtour.htm

You would be able to walk through the area on your own if you want to research its history yourself. We didn't go into the synagogue as we were just passing through on our way somewhere else. Ours was not a Ghetto tour.

This site describes some of the things you will see in the area. Be warned it is also an apartment rental site but the information is good. There are also links to other areas you might like to explore.

romanhomes.com/your_roman_vacation/quarters/…

That area will lead you to the Capitol Hill/Forum/Colosseo area if you wanted to include that or you can walk along the river towards the Vatican/ Castel Sant' Angelo

TAB

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
621 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jewish Rome

We didn't get a tour from someone for the neighborhood but the synagogue does an infomational tour through it, you will learn somethings about the neighborhood during this, there is also a movie going and lots of interesting displays. Very nice! I really enjoyed going here. Afterward you can walk the area yourselves, we had the BEST gelato behind the synagogue and watched the local kiddo's playing soccer in the small streets. The Theater of Marcellus is right there also.

So if you don't want to spend the big bucks on a private tour guide you can still learn a lot in the synagogue and get a feel for the neighborhood by yourself and even better, get a book with a walking tour to do.

Enjoy!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jewish Rome

Here is a google map that I made for my trip to Rome in feb 2008 of the jewish Ghetto. Zoom in to see details.

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

you can see termini as the blue trolley on it's side marker. You can take the train from Civitavecchia (FR-5) to termini

www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=4

From Termini you can take bus 40

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

along Corso Vittorio Emanule near Largo/Theatro Argentina (blue bus shown face on) and walk south to the Ghetto.

Here is a picture of the synagogue frfom across the Tiber in trastevere near Ponte Garibaldi. The Synagogue has a museum, but I didn't get chance to see it.

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

here are some other pictures of my trip to the jewish Ghetto

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showgallery.php…

I cam accross ponte Cestio and Tiber isald to the ghetto fro trastevere.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jewish Rome

My daughter visited the synagogue and enjoyed a very informative tour they gave there, with many details about the history of Jewish life in Rome. The Jewish quarter itself is rather small, and I don't know that you would need a guide there, as long as you have a good guide book.

5. Re: Jewish Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 08:18