We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which apartment to choose?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Which apartment to choose?

I have been doing a lot of reading and research on vacation rentals in Rome (very overwhelming!) and I have narrowed my options to the following listings on VRBO.com:

1. http://www.vrbo.com/87816

2. http://www.vrbo.com/108288

3. http://www.vrbo.com/196496

4. http://www.vrbo.com/70113

I appreciate any feedback you can provide to help me decide which option to consider.

I am traveling with my parents (over 65) and my mother has problems walking (taking the bus may also be a problem for my mom if the first step is too high from the ground), so selecting an apartment in an easy walking distance to some of the best sights of Rome is a must. I am also considering taking a cab to some of the sights we will visit (again, due to my mother limited mobility) and the apartment location may also come in handy considering the high cab prices I keep reading about.

Thank you in advance for all your feedback!

Monica

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which apartment to choose?

The first two, being very close to Piazza Navona, are in the most charming location. The old and narrow winding streets around there are wonderful to explore.

But the third, being right at Piazza Barberini, might be best for persons of limited mobility. There is a metro stop there. Though Rome's metro is of limited usefulness (it's not very extensive), it still comes in handy for the Coliseum, Spanish Steps, and Vatican.

Hope this helps.

La Canada...
Level Contributor
218 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which apartment to choose?

If you look at the pictures, your first and third choices above show that the main bed (presumably the one for your parents) is a lofted bed, and both require navigating some rather steep stairs to get to the bed. For that reason alone, I would eliminate them. Also note that the third one is located "on the first floor". The European first floor is the American second floor, and since no elevator is mentioned, I imagine reaching it involves a flight of stairs.

The fourth one, 70113, is quite a hike from the "centro storico".

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which apartment to choose?

4 is too far away considering your mom.

1 & 2 have only a sofa/bed for you (not very comfortable) and 1 also has the main bedroom reachable with steps.

I would think 3 is best, because central and with two real bedrooms with real beds.

If buses are a problem because of the step up, metro will be a problem as well. Too many steps and elevators don't always work. Seems like you'll need to take taxis. Make sure you real all the advise here on the forums about taxis (asking the price first, giving banknotes and saying it aloud etc) to limit the damage.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which apartment to choose?

The 4th option is a bit of a hike and seems to be on the 4th floor without a lift. As another poster has pointed out, 1 and 3 seem to have loft bedrooms and it's not clear what floor 3 is on.

This leaves option 2 - which has a lift and is a very central location (in fact, via dei Banchi Vecchi runs into via di Monserrato, where we'll be staying next year).

sleepinitaly's Eustachio - Silver apartment near the Pantheon may also be a good option (135 euros per night for 3 pax and it had a lift) as might the Grotte apartment near the Campo dei Fiori (125 euros a night for 3 pax).

Hope all goes well with your choice.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which apartment to choose?

I just had to check again to see if I was mistaken, but I am pretty sure: number 2 is the one with only one real bedroom and number 3 is the one with two real bedrooms.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,157 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which apartment to choose?

If you chose the Barberini apt, Here is a google map I made up for that area that might be useful

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Zoom in to see the Metro stops.

Some of the sites that are no accessible by the metro have directions on how to get there using the bus system if you click on the marker and a dialog balloon comes up with that info.

Being near a Metro stop on the whole is a good thing.

7. Re: Which apartment to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2008, 19:06
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
400 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which apartment to choose?

WOW! This is great feedback! Thank you so much all for your input!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which apartment to choose?

Number 3 looks to be the better of the 4, from reading the description of the photo. The decor in number 1 just puts me right off, hideous.

10. Re: Which apartment to choose?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 13:20