We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Monday?

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do on Monday?

We will be in Rome from Wed-Wed Oct 15-22. I am trying to type up and Itnerary. MAN is that hard! I am not having much luck. lol I have read that numerous things are closed on Mondays. What would you suggest we do on that day. Also are there any other days that you would suggest going to a certain site or not going.

Also we are going to try to take a day trip to Florence. If our budget allows. It is hard to gauge with the currency conversion. How much are the train tickets? Which day would you suggest for this?

Also I would love to go to Tivoli Gardens. I know that it is about 45 min outside of rome. How would we go about getting their. Would a Roma Pass cover the bus or train to get there? If not or if we shouldn't use it for that how much would it cost to get there.

I really am having a hard time coming up with an itenerary. Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Monday?

I found this Itenerary on RickSteves, but not sure it is for me. There are some things that I don't care if I see. Are there things that you would take out or add? I am not sure I want to go to Ostia Antica. Is it worth it?

Rome in Seven Days

Rome is a great one-week getaway. Its sights can keep even the most fidgety traveler well-entertained for a week.

Day 1

Do the "Caesar Shuffle" from the Colosseum to the Forum, Mamertine Prison, Trajan's Forum, Capitol Hill, and Pantheon.

Day 2

Morning — National Museum of Rome and the nearby Baths of Diocletian. Afternoon — "Dolce Vita Stroll" and shopping.

Day 3

Vatican City — St. Peter's Basilica, dome climb, and Vatican Museum.

Day 4

Side-trip to Ostia Antica. Walk from Campo de' Fiori to the Spanish Steps.

Day 5

Borghese Gallery (reservation required) and Pilgrims' Rome (the churches of San Giovanni in Laterano, Santa Maria Maggiore, and San Clemente).

Day 6

Side trip to Naples and Pompeii.

Day 7

You choose — Hadrian's Villa, Appian Way with Catacombs, E.U.R., Castel Sant'Angelo, Testaccio sights, Baths of Caracalla, Cappuccin Crypt, shopping, or more time at the Vatican.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Monday?

The Forum, Palatine and Colosseum are open on Mondays

Baths of Caracalla are open on Monday mornings.

Churches with great art are open on Monday.

St Peter's basilica

Pantheon, Santa maria sopra Minvera

Santa maria in trastvere, St Cecilia, San Francesco Ripa (it's own Bernini)

Santa maria maggiori, Santa Maria Vittoria (it's own Bernini), San pietro ad Vincola (michelangelo's Moses), and Santa marai Angeli

catcombs are open on Monday on Rome's Appian wauy

St Callistus, Domitilla, and St Sebastian catcombs

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Monday?

We did 6 days there last year and am going back in March some of the things on your list we did and some we didn't.

Day 1 yes! these are usually the must see's

Day 2 didn't do these

Day 3 yes! didn't do the Vatican tour the first trip but it's my "to do" this time. Did the St. Peter's Scavi tour and will try to do that again. It's not to be missed in my book.

Day 4 Will do Ostia Antica this next time but didn't feel confident about a day trip my first time there. Have heard great things about this site. Definitely do the recommended walk!

Day 5 Did the Borghese, not sure if my husband will want to do this when we go together, some great, wonderful, art sculptures here...nice park if your feel will allow you to explore... Will do the rest of his recommendations for this day on this next trip.

Day 6 Didn't do

Day 7 I loved Castle St. Angelo and the bridge of Angels,..... will do this one again.

The things we did that aren't on his list are the Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace), eating Gelato, sitting by the Trevi fountain, enjoying the street performers in Piazza Navona, St. Peter in Chains Church, Pamphilj Palazzo (?), Largo Argentina, Jewish synagogue and ghetto, St. Cecelia's church in Trastevere, wandering to your hearts content, getting cheaper food and water in the grocery stores.... you won't have any problems with Monday:-)

Enjoy!

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on Monday?

Thank you both very much! We are staying in Trastevere, so I am sure we will be hanging around there a lot at night.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do on Monday?

I staeyd in trastevere in feb 2008.

Here is a google map I made for my trip of the Trastevere area. I updated it when I go back. Zoom in for details

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
628 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do on Monday?

Cool map lupaling! I'm saving it!

Thanks!

7. Re: What to do on Monday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 17:21