We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

San Diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

I would really like to visit Santa Sabina and Parco Savello when in Rome in three weeks. I was planning on taking the 23 bus from the Vatican area (where we are staying).

Question 1 - Does the 23 have a stop on the hill, and if so, what stop would that be? I see on the atac website it goes by it, but I cant tell if its below the hill or on it.

Question 2 - I'm looking for hours of entry to the church and cloister. I'm in Rome on Nov 1, 2 and 3 (All Saints Day, All Souls and a Monday)!

Question 3 - That whole "rome through a key hole" at the Knights of Malta HQ, where is that in relation to Santa Sabina and Parco Savello?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

You can see a lot of sights at the same time if you get off the 23 at Ponte Palatino (Lung. Ripa). From the bridge you can see Tiberina Island (or visit it, too, if you've got time) and the ancient remains of Ponte Rotto (broken bridge) in the water. Continue across the street to the church S. Maria in Cosmedin which has the famous Mouth of Truth or Bocca della Verita. You can put your hand in its mouth and tell a lie if you dare, just like Audrey Hepburn in Roman HOliday. Just behind this church is the Circus Maximus, so you can go around the right side to catch a glimpse of it and the palatine hill's ruins above it. From the church, cross busy V. D. Greca to Via S. M. in Cosmedin and walk a few paces down the street to find the uphill cobbled footpath. It's very scenic and secretive. Take it all the way (about five minute walk, only) and you'll have the orange park (Parco Savello) on your right. So turn right and walk down the street. Imediately you'll come upon the entrance to the garden, then S. Sabina and then, about a block down it will dead end into the Knights of Malta keyhole (and S. Anselmo). You can make the walk in leisurely twenty minute from the Bocca d. verita to the keyhole. It's delightful.

San Diego
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

Thank you for such a great reply. I'll print it and bring it with me.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

I didn't get to visit Santa Sabina on my trip but I put it on my google map

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Zoom in on the upper left section for details

Santa Sabina is the red push pin maker that is unde the sun marker.

TKnioght of Malta keyhole to st pete's is the blue arch with a bus under it marker on the map

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,680 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

Bus 280 also goes from the Vatican to the Aventine which is where St Sabina is

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

we took bus 280 to go from near Ponte palatino to the Vatcian when we stayed in Trastvere.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

You are very welcome. Have a nice trip.

6. Re: Santa Sabina & Parco Savello - Hours, directions etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 01:18