We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Our trip to Rome so far:

Friday-arrive, pick-up Blue Cab, transport to hotel at Pantheon

Saturday

National Museum of Rome

1:45-5 Tour of Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's

Sunday

Ostia Anica or Florence Day trip?

If Ostia Anica, evening in Jewish quarter

Monday

1-3:30 Tour of Colosseum, Forum, Palatine Hill

Would like to add Capitoline Museum. Which day?

Baths of Diocletian, a must? If yes, which day?

What are the sites we are missing?

We love to walk around shopping, having dinner and gelato, and mingling in the evenings.

If we do make reservations for the Borghese, when would make the most sense?

Thanks so much. Being that this trip also includes trips to Egypt and Turkey, I am getting "researched" out! Any help from the forum would be much appreciated!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

I would add Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps and if possible Galleria Borghese. Bon Voyage!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

The Capitoline Museums is closed on Mondays. I think the Vatican Museums will be quite enough for Saturday; I can't imagine adding another museum to the same day (that also goes for the National Museum). Nor does Sunday seem like a good day for the Capitoline Museums, especially if you go to Florence. You might be able to fit it in if you go to Ostia Antica instead. I question going on a long day trip if you have only three days in in Rome. Two days is very little time for seeing Rome.

It's hard for me to advise on whether to go to Florence or Ostia Antica. It would depend on your interests, as they are totally different. The Baths of Diocletian may be a must if you're passionate about Roman history. However, I don't see the Pantheon on your itinerary, and I would move that above the Baths of Diocletian as a priority, as it's the best preserved ancient Roman building in the city.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Unfortunately it seems that you are going to miss the experience of being in Rome by wanting to go to Florence for the day.

Rome offers so much to fill 3 days and at the end of each after all the walking you will do through cobblestoned streets you will have filled it without a problem.

Oscar

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Thank you so much for your replies. I think that we will attempt:

Saturday

Baths of Diocletian, National Museum of Rome, and Tour of Vatican, Sistine, and SP

Sunday

We will do Ostia Anica instead of Florence and see the Capitoline Museum. Hopefully, we will have enough energy to walk around the Jewish quarter and have dinner there.

Monday

Walk around to see Pazza Navona, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps in the morning and evening. In the afternoon, do the Colosseum, Forum and Palatine Tour.

I should mention that we really enjoy Roman History. We are more interested in the historical sites and less in the spiritual ones.

Which day would we try to make Borghese reservations?

Any other sites we can squeeze in?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Also, we are staying at the Santa Chiara behind the Pantheon, so we will definetly see a lot of the Pantheon.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Lynn, I really think four museums in three days with all the other things on your plate is just too much.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Hi Bvlenci,

Do you think we should save Ostia Anica for another trip and just concentrate on seeing more in Rome? It is such a dificult decision, as Ostia sounds so fascinating. I know that no matter what we do, three full days will not be enough!

Canberra
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

I totally recommend Villa Borghese!! You can have a look around the park itself at leisure but need to book for entry inside the Villa. You only need an hour for this. We prebooked before we left and then just picked up the tickets minutes before our pre booked admission time. It was fantastic and well worth seeing...

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Villa Borghese is a great museum, especially if you're a fan of Bernini sculpture. However, on a three-day trip, the Vatican Museums, plus the Capitoline Museums, the National Museum (which is in three different places) and the Borghese Gallery is really overload.

Ostia Antica is also great; I've been there four times and still haven't seen everything. If your main interest is ancient Roman history, I would skip either the National Museum or the Borghese Gallery (maybe even both) and go to Ostia Antica. Of the four museums, the Capitoline Museums is probably the best choice for someone who is fascinated by Roman history.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
900 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 days in Rome-comments/help?

Thank you all so much. Being that we love Ancient Rome and have spent considerable time studying in preparation for this trip, I think we will do Ostia Anica, and we may have to miss the National and Borghese Museums. We do plan to come back to Italy again in order to see Florence, Venice, Sicily, Tuscany, etc., so we will just have to put these museums on the list for next time. I really appreciate all the help.