We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is RomaPass really necessary?

Simferopol
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Topic
is RomaPass really necessary?

Hi, are all the main classical roman attractions like the pantheon, colosseum, piazza, spanish steps and various fountains like trevi etc close to each other by walking distance? I was thinking to buy the pass but wondering do i really need the public transport so much? Will the pass be of any use when getting to Vatican? IS vatican out of the city center? thanks

Trevi Fountain
Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Piazza di Spagna
Architectural Buildings, Historic Walking Areas, Fountains, Points of Interest & Landmarks
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,368 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

As I understand it, the Roma Pass is a good value to use for the free admission to the first 2 sites you visit like ancient Rome sites(coliseum,forum etc) + entrance to one other expensive site like the Borghese Museum. It also gives you a discount on the 110hop on hop off bus. I am staying in the area near the Pantheon and plan to walk to the sights you mention from there or maybe use that hop on bus.

The Vatican is not included in the pass as it is a separate country/city NOT Rome. I think you need to see a map to get a good idea of where the Vatican is located. It is across a bridge from the centro storico.

I believe it is also walkable from there though.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

Hello,

All the sights in Rome are within walking distance of each other. The romapass is a great idea if you are going to see a lot of the sights and museums that are included with the pass. If you are going before the end of the year then the pass is a great value and you could consider the transport part of the pass a freebie. At the beginning of the year the pass will increase in price making it not so much the bargain it used to be. The pass will not get you into the vatican museums as they are not part of Rome. They vatican is just across the river from the center of Rome and is easy to walk to. The map makes it look farther out than it is. It is about a 15 minute walk from the pantheon to the basilica. If you were interested in going from the basilica to the colosseum you are looking at about half an hours worth of walking (maybe longer depending on how fast you walk) or you could take the metro. When I am in Rome I don't use the metro very much and have never used the bus system though I have heard they are really good. Try adding up your savings with the pass as opposed to without the pass and see if this should be the way to go.

Donna

lund, sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

Regarding public transport:

I wonder wether or not it would be against forum rules to tell people that you might not need any tickets for the buses. Which work very well - even though you shouldn't be too dependant on the time table

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

Hello,

You always need a ticket for the bus. To do so without is unethical. If you are caught the fines are very high.

Donna

Essex UK
Level Contributor
244 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

I dont see why that would be against forum rules... they are merely expressing an opinion and the whole purpose of the forums is to use other peoples expierences and opinion to decide the best course of action for you?

Me personally i am going to rome tommorow staying near Navona and am hoping to geet away with not using public transport and walking everywhere.

That said i will be getting the Roma Pass as even without the using the transport, the fact i can skip lines, gain access to a couple of sites for free and have disocunts at others makes it worthwhile.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
56 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

If I purchase my Romapass on line now, can it be used after the price increase goes into effect?

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

When you purchase the pass online, it asks when you will be picking it up. You must give a date. If that date is after the increase, you pay the increased price.

Barb

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,597 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

Hello,

If you are telling people that they don't need to buy a ticket to use on a bus that requires a ticket you are basically telling them to break the law because they probably won't get caught. This is against forum rules (and others). You never know when they will check for tickets and if you are caught without one the fine is really large.

Donna

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
484 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

If you order it online its it posted to you or do you have to print it?

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is RomaPass really necessary?

I believe, tell me if I am wrong, you purchase online and then pick it up once in Rome.

Barb