We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Restaurants

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Affordable Restaurants

Does anyone have restaurant recommendations for places where two people can dine for around 40 Euros (excluding alcohol)? Any area of main part of the city is welcome.

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,152 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Restaurants

Look at this thread,

…tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187791-i22-k1339…

Osteria del Rione.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Restaurants

My husband and I really like Il Ristorantino, Via Servio Tullio 8/10, near the Porta Pia. It's a seafood restaurant that mostly serves the many government workers in the area who have lunch there. I've never eaten there in the evening. The prices are very reasonable and the fish is fresh and well cooked and the pasta is freshly made, bought from a local fresh pasta place. It's very informal. The last time we were there, we arrived a bit early. After about five minutes, the waitress came out and announced, "The cook went around the corner to have a drink. We'll get going when he comes back."

My husband and I have never spent as much as 40 euros there. However, we don't drink wine. We also usually get two first courses and then share a second course. If we get two second courses, then we don't get dessert. Our total is usually more or less 30 euros.

lund, sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Restaurants

Wow, I think you can get a lot out of 40 euros.

The best affordable places I've been to are Pannattoni on Viale Trastevere, and Da Baffetto on Via del Governo Vecchio. Both are known for their pizza. Da Baffetto is cosier than Pannattoni, but i think i like pannattoni better. It's called the morgue and it can be a bit intimidating at first but it's so worth it.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Restaurants

I was beginning to get worried that my entire dinner budget would be spent in two nights after reading a recent trip report that a dinner for 2 was 350 euros. I will be paying for 5 people and wanted to spend about 300-350 euros total per night. This sounds doable?? Also, I am a bit concerned that the dollar is falling again against the euro.

Barb

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,506 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Restaurants

Barb: I don't eat in those kinds of restaurants, especially not when I'm on holiday. I want to have a light but tasty meal when I'm in Rome, so that I'll have more time for seeing things and won't be groggy from eating too much. You can easily find such meals, and you can also keep down the food budget in these ways:

Eat some meals in your room, picking up cheese, fruit, salami, bread and wine in a good grocery. (Make sure you have a corkscrew.)

Eat some meals in a bar, where you can usually get pizza slices, sandwiches, and often salads without spending much. It costs even less if you eat standing at the bar. Make sure you know in advance how much it will cost sitting at a table. Also, ask about the price of beverages. Sometimes they are the sneak expense. (This is a good idea even in restaurants if you don't see the price on the menu.)

Share some courses. My husband and I usually share the second course, or else we get one meat dish and one vegetable side dish (contorno) and share both.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Restaurants

Near the Colosseum I have really enjoyed Cavour 313 (the name as well as the address of the restaurant on via Cavour). It's an enoteca but they have excellent daily specials; a starter and a main were under 20 euros for me a couple of weeks ago. Wine is available by the glass or bottle.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
298 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Restaurants

Sorry I made a type above. A starter and main were under 30 euros not 20!

They do have a menu as well, but I found the daily specials were best.

8. Re: Affordable Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 16:21