We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip from Rome

Ontario
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
day trip from Rome

Will be in Rome a few days, and looking for a neat/ different day trip for someone who has been to Rome before? Any suggestions? Could be just a day trip, or to stay overnight.

Thanks!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip from Rome

We enjoyed Orvieto on an overnight trip. It was easy to get there by train (about 1 hr away) and staying overnight allowed us an extra few meals there... the food was FANTASTIC.

For day trips we enjoyed Ostia Antica and Tivoli. Both accessible by public transport.

Check out the 'Daytrips' section of the 'Rome' page at www.Italyheaven.com for other suggestions that might catch your eye.

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
628 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip from Rome

We haven't been but are planning on going on our upcoming trip to Ostia Antica, this is supposed to be about 30 minutes by train from Rome and is an excavation of Romes ancient port. I believe there are some other things to see there also, but the excavations are supposed to be quite extensive and worth while.

Have also heard of visiting Hadrians Villa in Tivoli? someone else could get you info on that...

A couple of ideas...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip from Rome

You might also want to check out the town of Zagarolo. Very charming.. and very close to Rome.

Depending on which train you take from Termini station( there are several that stop at Zagarolo), it only takes 30-50 minutes to get there. From the Zagarolo train station you can walk or take the local bus up to the historic town center which is perched on a hilltop. You could see most of the town in just a few hours.

Be sure to purchase a BIRG ticket. It only cost 6 Euro and is valid for a full day of travel. You can use it to go between Rome and Zagarolo, or even to Ostia.

Here's a link to some of the pictures I took the last time I was there ( last March)

…google.com/Baycitywalker/ZagaroloItaly…

Have fun!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip from Rome

Nice photos, Stephen. I visited Zagarolo myself a few weeks ago as a day trip from Rome, and absolutely loved it. The historic center is centuries-old and very charming....and there were no tourists there at all (except me).

Here is pic of the 500-year-old church tower that dominates the skyline...

flickr.com/photos/…

Ontario
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip from Rome

thanks for that... I had read about it in the guide book, but much better to get personal suggestions. I'll check out that site too.

Ontario
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip from Rome

Thank you... I didn't know about that place, but was just reading about those tickets.

Ontario
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip from Rome

I was just reading about those places last night. Thanks... appreciate it. Maybe see you there!!!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip from Rome

Depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

Ostia Antica is 30 min on the train from Rome and has outstanding ruins. Not everyone is into this kind of thing.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip from Rome

If you are only going to Zagarolo and back, the BIRG ticket won't save you any money. The one-way fare is 2.30 euros. However, it would be worth the 6 euros if you will also have a few bus or metro rides the same day.

Ontario
Level Contributor
130 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip from Rome

and that site is excellent, EternalCity1... lots of good info there.