We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
209 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

Are Italian pin numbers 4 digits long? Is there any sort of affiliations I should know about to ensure my card works?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

Hello,

I have never had a problem with my 4 number pin. You can check with your bank to see if your card will work. Also, let them know you are traveling and the dates. This way they won't think the card is stolen and put a hold on it.

Donna

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

we used our debit card from our credit union with no problem.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

it is always a good idea to travel with more than one debit card if you can. Sometimes a problem develops with one account that you can't figure out. In case of emergency, One can also get a cash advance off a credit card if you have a PIN, but interests rates for that are high and you have to pay it off as sson as you get back to the states.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

we also had a credit card. When we were in Asissi our debit card was blocked and we had to get a cash advance from inside the bank as we never use or even know what our pin number is for the credit card, the bank did not charges us, we did have to pay the cash advance fee, later we called the service for our debit card to unblock our card. very inconvient. Yes we did call to let them know that we were going overseas but little did we know that our credit union uses another service that watches the cards for poss fraud and there for blocked our card.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
106 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

do you mean will it work to get money out from an ATM using the PIN, or do you mean you want to use it to buy something in a shop and use it as a debit rather than a credit card.

In my experience, the first scenario (ATM machine using PIN) is fine. The second has not worked for me, I've always had to use a credit card in shops.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

If your US debit card has the Visa or Mastercard logo, you should have no trouble using it to make purchases in shops. I do it all the time, and my daughter used hers today in a shop. If you mean, using it to purchase something with the PIN, as you do in a US supermarket, that may not work.

DFW, TEXAS
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

You should be able to use your credit card with your pin but as a credit, we just never have as I don't want to pay the cash advance fees. So we have a back up like our debit card or a cash creditcard that does not come out of your bank.

Texas
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

Also, if you plan on using a debt card check your withdrawl limit. I ran into that and had to call the US and have them raise the withdrawl limit.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

That leads to another question! travelbug was able to go into the bank and get money over the counter with his/her credit card. Does anyone know whether you can do this with your debit card, to get more than the 250 euro limit?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I Know if My Debit Card Will Work in Italy?

Hello,

Not only should you let the bank know you are traveling, where you will be traveling to and what the dates are, but you should have them up your daily withdraw limit. Some banks will only allow 400 some will allow 500. It depends on the bank. I don't know if you can use an ATM card to withdraw cash inside the bank from a teller. By withdrawing the most you can each time you use the ATM it will cut down on any fees the bank may charge you. Also, make sure you only use an ATM when the bank is open in case there is a problem with the machine.

Donna