We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
215 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Am helping a friend plan a (possible) family trip for two weeks in August for a family of 4 (two teens). Schedule dictate August travel. Can folks advise if the weather is so bad as to chase folks away, or just to know about in advance. WE're east coasters. Also, are historical sites all generally open for tourists or will they be dealing with site closures. Some info on web indicates August is a no-go for Italy, others that it's just not the best time. What about shops too? Some or all closed in August?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

I'd much rather be in Italy than in Washington, DC in August. I've done both. I think maybe you are confusing the two places actually.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,271 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

All main shops and travel sites will be open as usual.It is peak holiday time. It will just be very hot and airconditioned accommodation is probably essential if you are not used to that. You may occasionally find a family business or restaurant which has taken a vacation and closed for the holidays. They have probably gone to the lakes or the seaside for their family vacation.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
32,314 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Hello,

The city does not close down in August. Many smaller family run businesses take some time off to get out of the heat but it is peak tourist season so you won't have a problem. Make sure when you book a hotel that you ask if they have air conditioning. Some of the smaller places don't. Also, try to book as far ahead as you can in order to get the room you want. Even though it is summer and will be hot the dress code for churches is the same. No bare knees or shoulders. This means no shorts or tank tops.

Donna

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

I have often gone to Rome in August with visiting family or friends who can't go there at any other time. It's not exactly my favorite time to be in the city, but it's certainly not all that bad. As others have said, it's generally cooler than most of the east coast of the US, and also generally less humid. One problem is that when you're home, you probably spend the hottest hours of the day inside in air conditioned rooms, while when you're on holiday you may spend the midday hours in a line waiting to get into the Colosseum under the broiling sun. Try to do as the Italians do, and take a little nap after lunch and do most of your sightseeing early in the morning and later in the afternoon. For that purpose, you should stay in a very central hotel, and make sure it's air conditioned. The most central hotels are more expensive, but August usually has low-season rates, which will help.

Some years are hotter than others, but I was there with my sister in Auguest 2003, which was the absolutely hottest summer in Europe in years. (It was the summer that so many people died of the heat in Paris.) It was pretty hot, but we had a great time.

Rome is near the sea, and it's often cool in the evenings even after a very hot day. I always bring a lightweight sweater, although sometimes I don't need it.

All tourist sites are open, sometimes with extended hours. Some shops and restaurants may be closed for vacations, but I've never had a problem finding plenty of places to eat.

Racine, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
530 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

We were there last August as that was the only time we were able to go, too. Everything we wanted to do was open, but we did see some closed signs on a few small shops. It was hot, but we were prepared with sunscreen, water bottles, etc. We went to the Vatican, on our hottest day, which is air conditioned, and went on a tour so we didn't have to wait in a long line in the heat. The Forum and Coliseum were hot but there is some shade.

Your friends should have no problems. How nice of them to have someone help plan their trip!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Hi

You can check weather stats on http://www.weatherbase.com and compare it with e.g. Washington. It should give you an idea of what to expect :-)

Regards

Gard

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Dear Ms.Travels:

I've been in Rome in August, and it was hot, indeed. Of course, I'm from Northern California, where the summer has some of our coldest weather. I would say that the Roman weather is not as humid in August as it is in D.C. However, with all the stone, which soaks up the heat, it felt like a furnace. I did what the Romans do, and took a long siesta during the early afternoon hours. Luckily, my hotel was air conditioned, which helped enormously. All the sights were open, and lines were much shorter to get in to the museums, etc. I went to Rome in August, about 10 years ago, so don't know if it is still the case that tourism drops off at this time of the year. Another good aspect of going in August was that the hotels offered discounts.

Rome is a great city, whatever time of year you visit, so I hope you enjoy your stay.

Buona fortuna,

BT

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Rome is hot in August! Last year was unusually mild but the first two weeks of September were brutal! We usually get a nice breeze off the Med but in August it tends to get pretty still! We live in an apartment with NO AC, as do most Romans.

Many of the family restaurants and shops in non-touristy neighborhoods will close. Some of the shops on our street in Prati close for the entire month, but most for just two weeks.

The tourist sites are open. Despite the heat, and some closures, Rome is still crowded in August. Italians are off, and those that don't head for the beach, mountains, or another country seem to come to Rome! So you'll still have plenty of company on the metro! The Med beaches and Lake Bracciano are crowded, and that's a great way to spend the day!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,664 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

Ron: I don't know if Rome is much different from Le Marche, but this past July and August were the second hottest I've experienced since I've been living in Italy (10 years). May and the early part of June were unusually chilly, and after the first two weeks of September, it got really cold really fast, but July and August were quite hot. We don't have air conditioning either, but the Adriatic coast is cooler than the Tyrrhenian coast. In 2007, we didn't even turn on the fans more than once, but this past summer, we had them going nearly every day.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
39,120 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: August Travel - weather and sites - how bad is it really?

I have a friend who went to Rome a few Septembers ago and took some sort of tour bus as part of his trip. The bus driver told them that the August before the weather was so hot that the passengers on his bus refused to leave the bus to tour , because the bus was air conditioned and the places they were headed were not. We went in October , which was a lovely month. We live in Florida and while it is probably even hotter here, the buildings are all air conditioned of course.