We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Phila., PA
Level Contributor
312 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

Looking to purchase some Euros before my trip, and saw a few mentions of International Currency Express, Inc. at http://www.foreignmoney.com/, but no comments. Thier exchange rates seem really good. Anyone use them? Are they reputable?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,132 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

Don't mess around exchanging notes. Just take a debit card and use ATMs to get euros as you need them. Almost always this gives the best rate.

It might be an idea to take around €100 with you so you don't have to find an ATM on arrival. For this amount, it is not worth hunting around for the best exchange rate. Just go to any change bureau in Philly.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

The previous poster is exactly right. Do not forget to advise your bank and credit card company that you will be travelling.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

I agree with the above. You should have no problems just using the ATM.

You are from Phile. If you are a PNC bank customer and if you maintain (I think) a $2,000 balance for the month then ATM charges will be refunded. I put cash in my checking account before I am about to travel. It works great.

CA
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

Yeah, I have used them before. For my trip to Naples, I ordered euros from them. No complains whatsoever.

In terms of rates, they were much better than anything I found in Italy ( and I traveled all the way up the boot). Especially Rome, rates of exchange were horrible. People in my party kept exchanging cash and they were being robbed if you ask me.

New Jersey-USA
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

Hi,

Just read your post & checked their exchange rates to compare to my bank. They are $.10 more on the dollar than my bank. Order from your own bank to avoid the ATM & Foreign conversion rate diffs or

use your ATM card and understand the fee is worth the security of not carrying lots of $$$$$ around.

Also be sure to call your Bank & advise them the dates/places you are travelling for both your ATM and Credit Card. You don't want to get to Europe and find out your cards are "blocked" because the bank thinks someone has stolen your cards.

Enjoy

San Diego...
Level Contributor
221 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

I bank with WAMU (soon to be Chase), I called them yesterday to enquire about this same topic for my trip to Italy in October.

THey confirmed that when using an ATM in Europe, they do not charge any fees, you only pay the current exchange rate plus any fees that the actual ATM you are using may charge.

Nothing additional is charged by WAMU

Hope this helps

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,663 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

The ATM machines themselves in Italy do NOT charge you anything. It is the network to which they belong whether it is a Visa network or a Mastercard network, that charge the fees. I suppose it is possible that WAMU has an agreement with Mastercard to charge no fees to its customers.

CA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

For those of you who rely on ATMs...Do the math when you get home from your trip.

The ATM is not as great bargain as you may expect. Add up your home/foreign bank fees and the exchange spread on several withdrawals of a few hundred euro and you will see for yourself.

A 5 euro fee to pull cash is about 7 or 8 bucks US dollar.

McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
436 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

If you have the right bank like mine then all of those fees will be refunded.

Do you have a cheaper and as safe alternative?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone used International Currency Express, Inc.?

Follow up question . . . we're heading to Italy next month and I'm planning on taking some Euros with us. In general, is there much difference in exchange rates here vs. there?

For example, if I head to the bank in Seattle and buy 500 euros, assuming there's no extra fees, is it pretty much the same rate as I would get at a bank in Rome?

The dollar's doing better this week and I thought I might as well convert some dollars over here, while it's up.

- stu