We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time to visit Vatican

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
169 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Time to visit Vatican

I'm going to pay extra to buy a ticket ahead of time using the Vatican website: biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/tickets/do…

It works better w/our schedule to go @ 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I've read it's best to go early due to crowds, but if we're buying our ticket ahead of time, is that no longer a problem? Will we be fine w/an afternoon time?

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time to visit Vatican

When are you going to Rome? Afternoons are a good time to visit the Vatican but it also depends on the time of year you will be visiting. If you are in the high tourist season, then afternoon would probably work better. However, you can pre-book tickets for morning tours also.

Have you checked out the AngelToursRome website? They offer pre-booking for morning tours and that includes your Vatican admission. They are offering free tours of Rome through February if you are going during this time of year. I have recommended their tours to many people and everyone has been very happy with their tours. Their Vatican tour is 3-4 hr. Their is so much to see at the Vatican that 2 hr. tours are not long enough. Some tours only run for 2 hours.

May

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time to visit Vatican

I have a follow up question. If we were to visit the Vatican museums in the afternoon, would there be time to visit St Peter's on the same day? Not sure what time the Basilica closes. This will be in April. Thanks.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time to visit Vatican

Aquablue,

You should have time to visit St. Peter's after a Vatican tour. However, when we took the Angels Tour we had St. Peter's included as part of the tour. It was such a knowledgeable tour with a guide and we learned things we never would have learned had we done it on our own.

St. Peter's is spectacular and to just try to learn it's history without a knowledgeable guide would be a shame. I was so mesmerized by its' beauty when we walked through the doors. However, many people opt to tour it on their own and it is certainly their prerogative to do so. We toured St. Peter's twice with the Angels and learned something new with each visit. It is one of my favorite places to visit.

May

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time to visit Vatican

Hello Nakt,

The museums close at 6pm usually with few exceptions so an entrance of 2 or 3 should give you several hours to explore the museums. Booking your tickets in advance will allow you to skip any line there might be but usually there are very little lines in the afternoon.

Aquablue,

You should have plenty of time to visit the basilica in the evening. The basilica is open from 7-7 April to September and 7-6 October through March. This should give you a few hours to see the basilica after doing an afternoon in the museums. You can exit the museums and go straight into the basilica. You won't have to wait in the security line again since you will have done that already for the museums. If you go to the museums at 1 or 2 and spend 3 to 4 hours there it will give you plenty of time to visit the basilica before it closes. You can also visit the basilica in the morning.

Donna

England
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Time to visit Vatican

May,

My flight to Rome leaves in less than 9hrs. I have booked a tour with Angels by Email but on their site they say that it is free except for a tip to be given to the guide. Could you give me an idea of a fair rate for this and also tipping in restaurants etc in general.

Thanks

Dave

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,634 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time to visit Vatican

Hello,

YOu can tip between 5 and 10 euros for the free tour. It depends on how good they are and how much you enjoy it.

As for restaurants, I usually leave a few euros, though a lot of people here will tell you that you don't have to leave anything but I always do especially if there is really good service.

Donna

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time to visit Vatican

DAve is probably enroute to Rome. Thanks Donna for your input.

I generally say 10% to 15% depending upon how satisfied you are with the guide.

May

8. Re: Time to visit Vatican

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 18:18