We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Garden to visit in Rome?

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Best Garden to visit in Rome?

Only will have time to visit one, which one should it be? Will flowers be in full bloom in mid-May?

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Garden to visit in Rome?

Dear Fineshot2000,

Central Rome is not filled with gardens. Which ones were you thinking of? I've been to and can highly recommend the Borghese Gardens, which is more like a park (think Hyde Park in London.) I don't recall there being lots of flowers in it, more trees, grass, fountains, the Borghese Gallery, a pond, temple, a villa (now the Museum of Etruscan art), etc.

Hopefully there will be others on this forum who can give you more guidance re other gardens. I am not aware of any others-but that's not definitive!

Buona fortuna,

BT

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Garden to visit in Rome?

Three gardens worthy of a visit in May:

The Vatican gardens, for which you must reserve a space on a tour in advance, is lovely and contains some amazing arrangements like its very rare coral tree and other gorgeous gardens and vistas.

The Orto Botanico, Rome's botanical gardens, are very easy to get to and have a wide variety of specimen and gardens including one of the largest (if not the largest) collections of palm tree varieties, a host of other gardens, and a lovely bamboo stand complete with Japanese pagoda.

Finally, I love to make a visit to Rome's annual Rose Garden (Roseto Comunale) located across from the Circus Maximus, but at the base of the Aventine Hill. This is amazing in bloom (may-June). Walking amid the plethora of roses with a view of the ruins on the Palatine is wonderful, but keep in mind this is a much smaller garden than the first two I mentioned.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,445 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Garden to visit in Rome?

Thank you! I will be there in mid-May also. This is great to know.

4. Re: Best Garden to visit in Rome?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 22:20