We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic

What is your favourite type of breakfast?

What are the differences?

Are you satisfied of breakfasts served in hotels/b&b abroad?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,186 Reviews
from US$78.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
533 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,876 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,703 Reviews
from US$59.70*
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,765 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Hi Baldassini, I like the breakfast buffets that many of the hotels and B&Bs provide with cereals,yogurt,fruit,cheese,ham, bread and the wonderful croissants and baked goods.

Last year though, after a few days, I ended up having a chocolate croissant every morning and didn't gain any weight! Yum!

Level Contributor
6,214 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Since this sounds like a marketing survey...

I rarely pay extra for breakfast in Italy - all I really want for breakfast is Cappucino, and usually more than one. Given the opportunity I would like to be able to bring Cappucino back to my room to give to my wife in bed.

If a hotel/b&b offers breakfast what I really want is something with fiber. Beyond cappucino, what I would most want would be plain yogurt and granola (bircher-muesli, or familia). That's probably what I need more than anything.

I also really like eating what I think of as "german breakfast": slices of cheese, salami and ham, on hard rolls.

Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Please don't even think about it!

There are, of course, many Americans - I'm not so familiar with the British, so I will confine my remarks to the American side of things - who complain endlessly about Continental breakfast. But if you say you serve an American breakfast, you will create far more problems than you will solve. They will want bacon/ham/sausages with eggs scrambled/sunny side up/poached. They will want hash brown potatoes. You cannot buy the right bacon or sausages in Rome (maybe at Castroni...at Castroni's prices). The bread is not right for making American toast, etc., etc.

If - and it's a very big IF; I very much believe "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" - you want to do something for your American guests, prepare something warm, but make it something that is *your* specialy, not an American thing. There is a B&B in Venice (Locanda Orseolo) that gets raves from Americans because it serves some kind of breakfast pancake with chocolate and bananas (as far as I can recall).

All I personally ask is orange juice. But please, freshly squeezed or refrigerated, not the horrible stuff made from concentrate.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,577 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

I truly enjoy the breakfasts provided in Italy. I know many complain wanting bacon and eggs, but we're not among them

I really like good croissants or other breads/pastries. I don't care for the packaged pastries. I'd rather see some good breads and pastries from a a local baker.

A choice of juices, cheeses, and yogurts, are nice also.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
472 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Espresso and Brioche seems like the perfect start to any day... What's breakfast?

Seriously, I only ever pig out in the mornings in Rome-

anywhere else I'm simply not interested in eating first thing. Must be something about the air!

We tend to use the breakfast bar at our hotel {Napoleon, Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II} and find everything to our liking. If we don't feel like doing the whole hog, I refer you to my opening line... espresso & brioche, preferably taken while watching the world go by.

Boise, ID
Level Contributor
500 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Although I have not bee to Rome, I know what prefer when I travel anywhere else. Personally, if I eat a pastry and coffee for breakfast, I always hate myself 45 minutes later. I am not satisfied and hit a slump after the caffeine and sugar wears off. I prefer either something with good protein, something a little fatty, or both. This keeps me from NEEDING an early lunch in less than 2 1/2 hours. So, a lowfat or fat free yogurt with minimal or no sugar added (with or without granola); any sort of (hard) bread with egg, cheese, or meat, or simply left over lunch or dinner (pizza, roasted meat, etc.), and of course, being a native to Idaho, I LOVE potatoes any way but baked, and would enjoy them for any meal.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,527 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

Since we are usually so busy during the day when visiting Italy, we do like a good breakfast. It doesn't have to be "American" but we do like some sort of protein...sliced meats or cheeses and boiled eggs are easy. The absolute worst breakfast we had was a few packaged breads/rolls that were horrible and stale. My perfect choice for breakfast would be:

meat/cheese/egg (any of the three or a combination)

I would pay extra for a really great breakfast, and if one was included, I would certainly be willing to pay a little more. With a good breakfast, we can have a really light lunch and then spend a bit more on dinner. Thanks for asking!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,611 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

I loved the B&B in Palermo where breakfast was a ticket to the bar over the road. We walked in and ordered cafe et cornetto just like the locals, and the cornetto (croissant) that was best was filled with lemon custard and dusted with icing sugar (see, I got my protein in the custard). Because we were foreigners they let us sit down instead of rushing in and out like the locals.My husband loves the hot chocolate instead of the capuccino.

The type of breakfast that I hate is packeted bread or cake. It does not speak of hospitality or generosity.

At Villa Porto al Arco in Volterra they serve all the goodies, meats, cheese, bread, yoghurt, cereals and then a selection of five or six home made cakes. Now that is generous and welcoming. I had to limit myself to two tiny tastes per day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

I'm happy with a continental breakfast. On our last trip, the hotel served a cornetto and a brioche, made to order espresso (or a pot of Nescafe), and orange juice. Had yogurt, muesli, milk, and canned fruit available.

The previous trip, one b & b had only pastries in cellophane packets - not so good. There was a little kitchen available to use, though, if you wanted to buy your own cereal and milk - or even cook something simple. They had Lavazza coffee machines in each room that use the pods to make individual servings of espresso or hot chocolate.

The other hotel, in Giardini-Naxos Sicily, had a more substantial continental breakfast, with hard rolls, cheeses, sliced salami type sausage, yogurt, and always a different choice of wonderfully ripe fresh fruit. And Nescafe - which has caffeine, I guess, but tastes like nothing at all.

On other trips, to Egypt and to China, the hotels had breakfast buffets with lots of local choices, plus cereals, omelettes, etc. This was nice, as it allowed for skipping a big lunch, but wasn't really necessary. Would have been happy with the equivalent of the continental breakfast. like one of the other commenters, said it would be nice to have cereal with fiber available too, especially if you're used to eating that - the digestive system misses it.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Continental, English or American Breakfast?

I've traveled on group tours to Rome and Spain previously, and the hotel stops are the ones that cater to large groups. Therefore, the breakfasts are comprised of elaborate buffets with a large variety...fresh fruit, cheese, meats, yogurt, eggs cereal, breads. It's interesting to see the choices that people make.

A healthy dose of fiber, as previously mentioned, is a necessity when traveling and consuming the oil-laden foods of the Mediterranean...particularly as one ages :-) BTW, I'm not sure what a typical "English" meal is?

Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now