We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

Yes I know I sound batty, but there are serveral things I wanted to know for my trip this year.

1)I have searched the Rome forum and other places for temperatures for 2nd June onwards. They vary from low 70's to mid 80's, can anyone help?

2)Is it possible to get tea to drink at least for breakfast?

3) What do coffee and other drinks roughly cost? (wine, soft drinks etc) I saw on another post that beer cost 7-10 euros, isn't that about 7-10 pounds?

4)I've told that as I will be in a city I won't need sunscreen. Most of our siteseeing will be indoors in churches etc. Any information please.

5) Will I need a hat ?(I'm female)

The last place I went abroad was Israel and it varied between 35 and 46 centigrade!!!!Otherwise I haven't been abroad for years and years!

Thanks in advance.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

1.) It will be hot! Be prepared for summer type weather.

2.) Depends on the hotel, I suppose. Shouldn't be a problem

3.) Rome is a big city. Expect big city prices.

4.) If you are prone to burn then absolutely wear sunscreen. ESPECIALLY when walking to and spending time in the Coloseum area

5.) It certainly can't hurt. Have one with you and determine based on the temp whether you wear it or not. If you decide not to bring one, you can always purchase a hat there if needed.

Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

5) Will I need a hat ?(I'm female)

Are you asking from a weather perspective or a need to cover your head for religious modesty when entering churches as a woman entering a sanctuary? If it's the second, no, you don't need a hat, but you do need to have your shoulders and knees covered to enter St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican City.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

3. The price of coffee varies. If you drink it standing up at the counter, it will cost very little (1.20 Euro or less for a cappuccino). If you drink it sitting at a table in the Piazza Navona, it will cost much more (3 Euro and up for a cappuccino).

Wine is inexpensive (as little as 3 Euro for a 1/4 liter), as is bottled water, fizzy or plain (about 2 Euro for a liter in most places) Soft drinks are much more expensive (4 or 5 Euro for a can of Coke). Imported (to Italy) beer is expensive; local beer is inexpensive.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
970 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

Yes, you will get tea for breakfast, but it will be a teabag and luke warm to hot water. Some hotels use teapots, but very few. I have had tea served in an expensive hotel, in a teapot without a lid!

So, no, it won't be "British" tea (but you won't be in Britain), however, you will be able to purchase tea at any time of the day.

I am also a tea "addict" in the morning, but to be honest, I convert to coffee when in Italy, as I like HOT tea, as in BOILING HOT, as in burn your throat, and I cannot get it, so, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". Cappuccino is the answer in the morning.

I was in Italy June 2008 and although the first half of June was rainy and coolish, the week I was there (2nd half) it was sweltering hot (and terribly humid).

As for someone telling you, you don't need sunscreen as you will be in a City..... strange comment..... Take sunscreen, especially if you are fair skinned.

Just a tip on costs of drinks - purchase your bottles of mineral water at supermarkets. I paid 14 cents for natural and 28 cents for "frizzante" a few weeks ago in a supermarket in Milan. You can pay anything from euro 1.50 to euro 5 (sitting down in a restaurant) for mineral water, 500 mls.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
426 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

1) Well, it is Europe and not the tropics with constant temperatures, so the temperature does vary that much. I remember the start of june having 18 degrees only (although less likely, of course) and being as hot as 35 degrees (centigrade!). Be prepared for 25 to 32, that is what is most usual at that time.

2) In most hotels, yes. In cafes: in all of them! And not only for breakfast either, anytime.

3) In cafes there is the standing at the bar / sitting at a table difference. And also the location factors in. Standing at the bar, a caffe (espresso) is almost never more than 1 Euro, usually 80 or 80 cents. A cappuccino usually 1 or 1,10. Sitting a cappuccino can be anywhere from 2,00 to 5,00, depending on location. check before you sit.

Beer is more expensive than in other countries and also more expensive than wine. A glass (0,4) beer can cost from 3 to 7 euros. a glass of wine can cost 2 to 4 euros. At aperitivo time (usually 6 to 8 pm) both can cost more but then include a buffet or at least a plate of things to nibble on (pizza pieces, little sandwiches, chips etc..) Soft drinks are expensive, too (starting from 3 euros a can).

4) As a female and doctor, I would suggest you always wear sunscreen. June in Rome, you should definitely wear sunscreen. Skin cancer is not funny.

5) Is this religious or sun related? religious: no. Sun: it would be good for your face, yes, but you don't have to, especially if you don't feel comfortable with it. it can get very hot under a hat as well, so decide for yourself.

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

Thanks to everyone who replied, and the hat is for weather purposes so I will take it.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

with our delicate English skin that rairly sees the sun at all, please take a high protection sun screen with you...its an absolute must even on a cloudy day.

8. Re: Weather, drink, sunscreen and hats!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2009, 11:19