We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

We having been planning our trip to Italy for two years now and as it approaches I just happened to read a comment about the Scavi Tour not being for people who are claustrophobic.

This was always at the top of the list of our things to do. So I am asking for info from anyone who has been there.

I am bothered only by extremely tight spaces and am hoping that the truth of the matter will be that it is a little small but not too bad.

Please comment.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

It's somewhere between extremely tight and a little small. There is nothing that is smaller than a telephone booth (but unlike a telephone booth the walls are of stone and not of glass); you are always within view of other people; some ceilings are very low; it is kept, for preservation purposes, hot and humid; you enter through a pressurized door.

God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

Beachtraveler,

You got it! The truth is the space is a bit small and you are underground but it is not bad and you will see and hear marvelous things. I have been twice the last time was this Christmas and I plan on going again.

Enjoy

Martha

God's 1/2 acre
Level Contributor
849 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

Zerlina,

We crossed emails.

"Extremely tight" says to me I would have to turn sideways to get thru a spot. I am a large and tall woman but never had to turn sideways, crouch or squeeze to progress thru the Scavi tour.

Martha

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

Thanks

If you don't have to turn sideways, scrouch or squeeze I think it will be ok.

Stewartsville, NJ
Level Contributor
195 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

I have done the Scavi tour twice and let me be succinct:

I am 6'2 and weigh about 220. very broad shoulders...never had to turn sideways, had to bend to look into some the areas, but never felt cramped...and yes i do get claustrophobic on occasion.

6. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2009, 06:54
7. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 February 2009, 00:45
west midlands
Level Contributor
201 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

Hi I am not very keen on small spaces but didn't feel unduly alarmed or panicked by the tour. It is only in a few places where space is more limited. my husband is 6'4" and heavy set and he didn't have problems with the size of the rooms etc... so think you would be alright unless you really suffer badly with claustrophobia. it was the highlight of our last visit so would reccomend it!

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,159 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

Hello Beach,

I, too, am very tall (almost 6 feet) and get slightly claustrophobic. I never felt confined or claustrophobic at all on the two scavi tours I went on. There is one point in the tour where you must go one by one into a smaller area if you want to see a particular ruin but you are still able to see everyone and you don't have to go if you don't want to. The corridors are small, meaning you can't walk two abreast but never did my shoulders touch the walls. There was a doorway or two with a lower lintel but that was it. Some of the rooms were actually quite large allowing the entire group to spread out while being given the information on the burial chambers. You are basically seeing an underground city. A city of the dead. Nothing in the tour is extremely tight and at any time if you feel you must leave they will happily take you out. It is hot and humid inside and you must check all bags so come prepared.

Donna

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Scavi Tour Claustrophobic?

here is a discussion from Slow travel on how claustophobic it is.

slowtalk.com/groupee/…