We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

syracuse
Level Contributor
140 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

Can anyone tell me what it the easiest way to get from the Rome Airport to Naples and the Amalfi Coast. My husband had knee surgery, so I would like it to simple. I thought about renting a car but was told that it is a nightmare driving on the Amalfi Coast, so I forgot about that idea. Thanks for your advice!!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
441 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

Perhaps you can get a bus from the airport, but you don't tell us which one... I'm assuming it'll be FCO.

You're probably going to hate this... I have no idea whether you can pick up a bus direct to Naples from the airport, but I'm sure that someone will be able to help with that info. If no bus, I'm afraid that short of organising a car {either hire or taxi} you're in for a few hoops. From FCO you need the Leonardo Express, ehich runs to Roma Termini every 30 minutes. From Termini you need to get a train to Naples {journey time about 1 and a half hours, then from Naples you need to change to Naples Garibaldi station and pick up the Circumvesuviana train down the Amalfi coast... it takes about an hour to Sorrento {you don't tell us whereabouts you're headed for on the Amalfi, so I'm picking Sorrento as a likely destination}. I'd think quite hard about this if I were you. It's not the best therapy for a recently discharged knee operation. Good luck, though.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

To get to Naples from Rome, you have to either go to Termini to catch the train (take the Leonardo) or get to the Tiburtina bus station (Curreri or Mazzoti) in east Rome. The FR-1 train from FCO does go to Tiburtina. There is no direct service to Naples form the airport.

I am not usr that with your husband's knee surgery that you will up to lugging baggage at train and bus stations. The bus and train station are strictly self-service. You have to carry the baggage onot the bus or train yourself.

Then there is the problem of how to get to the Amalfi coast from Naples. Maybe you should hire a private driver. it's pricey. but if you can't handle all the luggage yourself and transfering from one transport mode to another , there are not a lot of cheap alternatives.

Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,639 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

Hi fruff

you could fly to Naples (Capodichino airport) and from there there is a bus that goes to Sorrento.

http://www.curreriviaggi.it

Once in Sorrento there is the SITA bus lines that goes all along the Amalfi Coast.

good luck!

South Orange, New...
Destination Expert
for Campania
Level Contributor
575 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

Where in Amalfi? I would only go with the car IF you will be staying in either Sorrento or Salerno as they are easy to get to. (We've driving to Positano from the Rome airport before...I do NOT advise it after a klong, overnight flight! I think we had about 8 coffees along the way and I still do not know how we managed the Amalfi Coast Drive on no sleep!) Again, depends on where you are staying really...If I didn 't drive, I'd probably take the bus from Rome to Sorrento...or train to Salerno.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
893 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

I had the same transportation concerns last fall while planning a future visit and decided to use a car service from Rome Airport to our hotel in Sorrento. It costs quite a bit more but it removes the luggage and connection hassles. My wife has a bum knee so this should work out fine.

Search for "Sorrento Silver Star Car Service" to get much more detail and lots of reviews by their customers.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

Here is my suggestion:

Have Stefano pick you up at the airport and transfer you to Termini Station (romecabs@yahoo.com) I used him and his service and price can't be beat!

Take EuroStar train to Naples (1.5 hrs)

Have Amedeo Avellino meet you at the train station in Naples. He will meet you at the tracks. He will dirve you anywhere you want to go. (info@amedeoavellino.com or www.amedeoavellino.com)

He met my daugher and I at track-side and drove us to Pompeii. After Pompeii, he drove us along the Amalfi Coast, stopping several times to walk around various towns. I cannot praise this very nice man enough! He was so kind to us. And his Jaguar is new and spotlessly clean. His driving is excellent!

From Pompeii, he drove us as far south as Ravelo and had us back to the Naples train station by 7pm.

Hope this will help!

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,537 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

I hope that you allowed plenty of money for a private car. it costs 80-100 euros one way for a driver from Naples to Sorrento one-way. it has to cost a lot more from Rome to Sorrento. It can't be helped though if you can't manage your own luggage and all the transport transfers.

8. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 February 2009, 17:10
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
970 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k2325…

I would suggest using Sorrento Silver Star. While we have used Rome Cabs this Jan, price they quoted us for a Rome--->Positano was higher than SSS.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Rome to Naples and the Amalfi coast

Our day with Mr. Avellino was very reasonably priced. As stated above, he met us track-side at the Naples train station (9:30am) and drove us to Pompeii. He waited while we spent about 3 hours wandering the sight. Then on along the coast, as far south as Ravelo. I wish I could remember the names of the towns where we stopped. We ate lunch in one, walked down to the beach at another, visited a church and walked around the central piazza of another. Somewhere along the way we stopped and visited an art gallery, ate gelato and bought pottery. In Ravelo, we played ball with some children in front of the church. Got back to the Naples train station about 7pm. Our train left about 7:30pm. The fee was €250..without tip. That was in '07...2 years ago. It was money well spent for what we received!