We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

I only have two full days in Rome, and I don't want to leave the city on these two days to visit Tivoli if possible. I will barely have enough time to see the Forum one day, and the Vatican, the other day, along with all the sites in between.

So with that in mind, is it possible to go to Tivoli, early in the morning to check out Villa d'Este & Villa Gregoriana (both in Tivoli, blocks apart) before departing for Sorrento later that day, say, around 3PM, returing to Rome from Tivoli and then leaving for Sorrento. I would really, really like to get out to Tivoli to explore these two Villas with their fountains and waterfalls.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

The second paragraph above should have mentioned that this would be the 3rd day, after two full days in Rome (travel day to Sorrento)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

There is a train that goes to Rome from Tivoli, It stops at Rome's Tiburtina station, where you would have to take another train just one stop for Termini station, and there you could change for Naples. From Naples to Sorrento, there is a small private railroad, the Circumvesuviana, which takes about an hour from Naples to Sorrento. Here is the website for train schedules:

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

You don't really need schedules for the Circumvesuviana, because they run fairly frequently all day long. The trip from Tivoli to Naples would take 3 1/2 to 4 hours, so you're looking at around 5 hours altogether.

You should probably leave your luggage at Termini station before leaving for Tivoli, and pick it up on your way back. There is often a long line for retrieving luggage, so maybe you don't want to buy your ticket from Rome to Naples until you're there at the station, or else allow a comfortable time in between trains.

It will be a bit of a strenuous day, because you will have to take 5 trains in total from Tivoli to Sorrento. However, if you really, really want to see Tivoli, it can be done. I've never seen the Villa Gregoriana, but from what I've read, it's not worth a long detour. The ancient Roman Villa Adriana, just outside of Tivoli, was really impressive, though.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

This would also depend on what day you plan to visit Villa d'Este - it is closed on Mondays.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

bvlenche, thanks for the input. Leaving luggage at Termini makes complete sense obviously, and I could probably head out to Tivoli around 8am, be back in Rome Termini roughly 3PM'ish, and still be able to catch the train to Naples, transfer there, and be in Sorrento by 9PM. While strenuous, the effort will be worth it.

BTW, this would be on a Tuesday, so no closure issues.

5. Re: Going to Tivoli, and leaving for Sorrento on same day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2009, 18:20