We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Items needed for Rome?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Items needed for Rome?

I'm traveling to Rome, Florence and then Lucca in late September, so I'm want to make sure I take everything I need. For example, I'll be packing adapters for electric plugs, bath soap, wash cloths.

Is there anything else I should take that one doesn't think to pack for vacations within the U.S.?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Sounds crazy but I always take a tiny flashlight..one night in Lucca it was raining and I couldn't see well and used it to light my way back to the hotel!!!! By the way your itinerary is my favorite..Lucca is my favorite town in the world...great food, elegant friendly people and just gorgeous..I envy you. have a wonderful time...DKEL

One thing I just remembered is eyedrops..I wear contacts and needed them and ran out..so if you use them take them..also moleskin for your blisters and bandaids!!!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Triple antibiotic ointment in case a blister breaks, a small pair of binoculars to use inside some of the cathedrals to get a better look at the ceilings, a small bottle of Woolite if you plan on washing things out, a travel clothesline.

jerryott@dtnspeed.net

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Since I'm usually "map girl" on vacation, :-) I have a small compass that clips to my purse.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Items needed for Rome?

These are all excellent ideas--thanks so much!

DKEL--I'm really looking forward to Lucca. We anticipate that will be our time to relax a little more and soak in the culture after our busy days in Rome and Florence. Any suggestions on restaurants?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Take comfortable shoes! A lot of walking, and some of the big sights have uneven surfaces.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Adaptor plugs are needed as are voltage converters if ANYTHING you're taking to plug in runs on 110v 60hz. Italy has 240v and 50 hz. The adaptor will get you plugged in but there'll be trouble if the device is 110 only. Just checking.

Level Contributor
220 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Items needed for Rome?

I agree with the flashlight (penlight) .... trying to read a map at night can be difficult. And a compass is a great idea. Knowing you need to go north but being disoriented and not knowing which way north is... can you tell this has happened to me?

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Sorry can not remember the names of Restaurants in Lucca but had a pumpkin ravioli in sage butter that makes me faint to think about. There was one good place we went to 3 times at the base of the wall near the steps where you rent bikes..big awning. But I never had a bad meal. THe gellateria in the square there has pear gelato to die for. I WANT TO GO!!!!DKEL

nem
United States
Level Contributor
324 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Here is a list of things that I usually take when I travel outside of the USA:

First aid kit (bandages, antibiotic ointment, pain pills, pepto-bismol, ant-fungal cream, immodium ad or generic brand, cortisone cream, muscle pain cream, bonine, alcohol swabs, and amoxicillin from your doctor just in case. I usually place all these inside a freezer zip lock bag.

Deet Spray (Off)- especially if you will be in a park or hiking

Flashlight

Bottle Water or a water bottle to fill up while your touring

Good walking shoes

MAP -I will reccommend the "DK Eyewitness Travel Guide of Rome" or "Fodor's See It Rome" These 2 books have the best detail maps and lots of helpful information.

Lysol or Clorox Wipes

Baby wipes or Hand Sanitzer

Tissue or Napkins packs to place in your purse in case the public bathrom that you use does not have any.

Zip lock bags or Plastic bags

Tissue paper for breakable items or souvenirs that you may purchase.

And of course your standard tolietries

Maryland
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Items needed for Rome?

Does anyone know if the hotels in ITaly are equipped with hair dryers?