We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Large sum of cash needed in Rome

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
USA
1 post
Save Topic
Large sum of cash needed in Rome

I am renting an apt in Rome, and the rental agency requires the rental balance in cash upon arrival. The total amount is around 3200 EURO.

Based on other posts and my research, it will not be possible to withdraw that amount thru ATM.

What are other alternatives for getting a lot of cash upon arriving in Italy?

Travellers checks? (Is there still an American Express office in Rome? Florence?)

Thank you for your help!

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

I would get it from a local bank here in the US before going over. Many banks can have it for you within a few days.

That's a tidy sum of money though - I hope you're staying in Rome for a LONG time!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

THis may sound obvious but why not just bring the cash with you? You can get the money from your bank at home, can you not? I've asked at my bank here and with a few days notice they can give me Euros. I know people don't like to travel with large sums of money, but if you are arriving directly from the US to Rome and going directly to the apartment it shouldn't be a problem.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

That IS a lot of cash... like the other posters, I'd get the Euros stateside. ATM limits will surely thwart you from withdrawing that much cash in a timely fashion.

Have you asked the agency for some alternatives? Perhaps they'll have a suggestion for you.

Good luck!

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,090 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

Talk to your bank and perhaps get a cashier's check for that amount to be cashed at a bank once in Italy. I'm sure your bank will have some ideas.

italybound@verizon.net

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

3200??? OMG how long are you staying in Rome?

Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

I had to send my apartment holder 500e as a deposit, and later I just sent him the remaining 1000e (just because we didn't want to carry that much money around). The apartment owner has a PayPal Account, as do I, so I just used that to make the payment.

PayPal took care of the exchange rate. As for using cash in Rome, we are depositing cash in our U.S. checking account, and using our debit card in Rome. We also spoke with our bank (Bank of America), and had the daily amount we can take out...increased. If you are a B.O.A. customer, and use an affiliat of theirs in Rome, they charge $5.00 per transaction.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

many banks like Bank of america that will send you euros. I used American Express travel service and exchanged my money, while many told me the rate was too high, I did not find that to be true, but had to pay a one time $40 fee. I went over with the cash in a money belt and put it in the safe in the hotel.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
850 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

I had a similar issue with our apartment in Rome this April. They only requested a 100 euro deposit with the balance of the rent (1300 euro) and a 200 euro security deposit due upon arrival. I emailed the manager of the apartment and asked her if she had any suggestions. She responded immediately that I could pay her a portion of the rental each day as I was able to withdraw it from my ATM. Her office is right next to the apartment building.

I am going to Rome with my adult daughter this time, so I am going to deposit money in her checking account as well so that I have two accounts from which to withdraw each day.

I will some euro with me on the trip over to cover immediate expenses, but it is nice to know I don't have to have an additional 1500 euro on me for the apartment rental.

Maybe you could ask your rental agency if they have any suggestions for you?

Illinois
Level Contributor
982 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

Our apartment also wanted cash upon arrival. I finally just asked if they would take Visa, explaining I didn't want to have to carry that much cash, and they agreed to let me charge it. I'm not saying all will do that - most will not. I'm just saying, it never hurts to ask.

Another alternative to carrying that much cash over would a wire transfer. You might ask if they'll accept that.

Food for thought.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,703 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Large sum of cash needed in Rome

I just sent a personal USD check to a company in Ravello (They said it was fine). I assume they had to pay a fee for the conversion, but they were able to deposit it at their Italian bank. I don't see why you can not give a check to them - maybe you will have to pay a small fee on top, but should not be a problem. You may also be able to get a cashiers check in EURO at your local bank. Paypal has proven really effective in my dealings, as there is no charge for the conversion and the rate is good.