We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there an actual Palatine Museum or only ruins on the hill

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
634 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is there an actual Palatine Museum or only ruins on the hill

Hello,

Trying to plan my itinerary and saw two "sites" on the Roma Pass map from my last trip with the same number for the Palatine. I see where the ruins are and visited them last time but on the side where Circo Massimo is (address on Roma Pass says via di San Gregorio, 30 off of Piazza di Santa Maria Nova, 53)is there an actual Museum devoted to the Palatine?

If so has anyone gone there? this is the first I've noticed this.

Thanks for clarifying this for me!

Mentioned in this post
Roma Boutique Hotel
Roma Boutique Hotel
651 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Santa Maria
Hotel Santa Maria
3,081 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,437 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.70*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,815 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there an actual Palatine Museum or only ruins on the hill

From Frommer's:

"The Palatine Museum (Museo Palatino) displays a good collection of Roman sculpture from the ongoing digs in the Palatine villas. In summer you can take guided tours in English Monday through Sunday at noon for 3.50€ ($4.20); call in winter to see if they're still available. If you ask the museum's custodian, he might take you to one of the nearby locked villas and let you in for a peek at surviving frescoes and stuccoes."

It's the big, white, multi-story building close to the Domus Augustana, the public and private wings of a luxurious palace built by Domitian.

Mentioned in this post
Museo Palatino
Museo Palatino
42 Reviews
Rome, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there an actual Palatine Museum or only ruins on the hill

I have been to the Palatine Museum and enjoyed it. I especially liked the black statues of the Nereids from the temple of Apollo. There were several interesting exhibits and it is worth going to. There is a bathroom on the lower level so that you don't have to walk back to the Farnese gardens where the other one is.

Mentioned in this post
Apollo Hotel
Apollo Hotel
783 Reviews
Rome, Italy
Hotel Farnese
Hotel Farnese
933 Reviews
Rome, Italy
3. Re: Is there an actual Palatine Museum or only ruins on the hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 21:17