We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Our trip is coming up very soon (NEXT WEEK!) and I want to be sure I haven't missed anything important. What would you say are the top 10 things someone traveling to Rome needs to know?

Grazie!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

If you throw a coin into the Trevi fountain, you will definitely return one day :-)

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

That your most enjoyable moments will probably not be at one of the "must see" sites, but rather somewhere in between them. Perhaps when you're walking around lost.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,415 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

1. Watch your step crossing the streets

2. Avoid restaurants with menus in four languages or hawkers on the sidewalk.

3. Your waiter won't bring you the check if you don't ask for it. Pretending to scribble on the palm of your hand (when you have the waiter's eye) is the international sign language for "I would like the check". Look to see if service (servizio) is included; if it is, you don't need to tip. If it's not, you can tip 5% to 10% if the service was good. Many Italians don't tip at all.

4. In most bars, you pay more if you sit at a table than if you drink your coffee and eat your pastry standing at the bar.

5. Restaurants open for lunch around 12:30 - 1 and for dinner around 7:30 - 8.

6. You have to stamp your bus tickets in the little machine on the bus, unless it's an all-day (or 3-day) ticket and you've already stamped it or used it in the metro.

7. Greet people (even if they're busy talking to someone else) when you enter a shop. Announce to the world in general, "Buon giorno" up until about 3 PM and "Buona sera" after that. If you can't remember those two phrases, you can use "Salve" (SAHL-vay) all day long.

8. Don't burst forth in English without attempting to find out if the person understands it. You can just say, "inglese?" (or even "English?") with a questioning voice and a smile.

9. Most shops close for lunch and reopen around 4; most churches close for lunch and reopen around 5.

10. Changing your shoes in the middle of the day is nearly as refreshing as a nap.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,671 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

From the mouth of an expert -lol

Thanks bvlenci. I will also note this advice.

LANCASHIRE
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

If you havent already got one, buy a good guide book, good shoes, watch out for flower sellers & the like, they will take a like to your pockets.My wife & traveled through Rome, many times, on our way home from the middle east.We found most of the restaurants are geared up for families, not couples, but as the restaurants fill up with the families, you become part of that family, as they engulf you, make you so welcombe, which we loved, have had many happy time times there.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
282 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Bvlenci - some great suggestions! Not much left after those… I know when I moved here I made MANY mistakes so….. here’s my "must do’s" …. And my “surely don’ts!” With many Italian friends I learned my lessons the “hard way.”

1. Don’t order a cappuccino after 1 PM – instead try a caffè marocchino!

2.Use a knife and fork when eating pizza in a restaurant – and order a birra spina!

3. Eat Gelato every day – at least once, or maybe twice, or......!

4. Enter buses at the front and rear doors and exit from the middle doors!

5. Only mix oil and vinegar on salads!

6. Take the time to” just sit, watch, and enjoy” being in Rome! “Piano, Piano!”

7. Enoy a “granite” or coffee at Café Tazza D'Oro near the Pantheon.

8. Climb to the top of St. Peter’s cupola for the best view in Rome – and a sense of accomplishment!

9. Never cut your pasta- and try different pasta each day!

10. Save yourself plenty of time to just wander the back streets of Rome! Sometimes you're best discoveries come when you're lost!

Dallas, Tx
Level Contributor
77 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Love all the suggestions and tips. Nice things to know.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Don't forget "San Pietro in Vincoli" = "The Moses" by Michelangelo.

Have a nice trip !

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Awesome information. So very helpful. Thank you!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
669 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 10 things to know about traveling to Rome?

Great suggestions, thanks!