We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area to stay in? trastevere?

Dublin
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
which area to stay in? trastevere?

We intend travelling to rome x 3 days and have the possibility or a reasonable & nice apt in the trastevere area? have never been to rome and the amount of info is daunting. really have not got a clue where would be suitable.

thanks for the help as usual.

patricia

Rome
Level Contributor
333 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

You could try with www.leisureinrome.com or may I suggest the San Francesco a Ripa hotel or the Ripa Hotel. italiancollection.com/en/…nav_bar

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

For your first trip to Rome I suggest you stay in a hotel. Hotels are a fund of information and can help you with transportation and where to go and what to see and suggestions for eating.

Why spend a very short time in a flat and have to buy food and try to make yourself understaood in Italian? Three days is a very short stay. There are some excellent prices for hotels in these economic times.

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
880 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

Trastevere is a great part of town full of local bars and restaurants. Try Hotel Trastevere www.hoteltrastevere.net. A nice tourist hotel with appartments in a good area. Slightly more upmarket but still in Trastevere is Hotel Santa Maria www.htlsantamaria.com. Enjoy Rome

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,149 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

This is a link to a map of the route of tram#8 which will take you from Trastevere across the river to Largo Argentina where you can get buses for the rest of Rome. Of course you can do a lot of walking too but I think staying somewhere near enough to this tram route would make life easier for you .

…psu.edu/t3b/…Romearrivaltraintram.html

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

Whether you stay in a hotel or an apt de[pend on how mcuh hand-holding you need and what you budget is. Be advised trhat most apt rentals in Rome require you to pay in cash on the first day you check into the apt.

When you rent an apt you are on your own. No one to call the Borghese to get your tickets to give you directions. On check-in they usually give you a map with the grocery stores, big attractions and some nearby restaurants on a map.

on the plus side you get a lot more room and it's cheaper. You have your own frig, and although you have to stock it yourself ricotta frescha, ice cubes, bottled water, and blood orange juice can then be available on a 24 hour basis. I'm afraid that savign money by actually cooking in the apt in not one of our goals.

In Rome anyway it was a lot cheaper to stay in an apt than to stay in a hotel. Some places gave us a further discount over the daily rate for staying a week (one day free).

I stayed in an apt on my first trip to rome and have done that on every trip that was not an overnighter. in Feb 2009 on my frist trip to Florence we stayed in an apt in the Oltrarno; this apt amazingly took credit cards.

An Apt isn't for everyone. You have to assess your vacation goals and determine what is most important to you, and would an apt fit in with that.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

I stayed in an apt in Trastvere for 12 days in feb 2008 on my fourth trip to Rome. It was my favorite area to stay in. It was loaded with great restaurants and shops. It was walking distance to a number of sites, and Tram 8 made everything else accesible. The area is loaded wthh energy and some great sights itself.

Most people stay in Centro Storico, and area bounded by the Pantheon, Campo Fiore, and Piazza Navona. I have not stayed in this area because lodging is at a preminium there and I am a budget traveler.

Dublin
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

yes we have no intention of cooking, we are travelling with our 2 teenagers 16&17, and would like the space of an apart. I also like the idea of eating somewhere different each day.

thanks for all the help.

patricia

Dublin
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

where in trastevere? can i ask.

patricia

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

I reented from Rome accomodation

rome-accommodation.net/apartments-rome.xhtml

I have rented from them twice before

You will have to zoom in on this google map, but we stayed at the green house with a flag marker

maps.google.com/maps/ms…

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,096 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which area to stay in? trastevere?

This is where we stayed

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

view from apt

Piazza santa maria in trastevere was nearby