We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport strike, September 21st

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport strike, September 21st

Looking at the Florence forum, I see there is a posting about a public transport strike on Wenesday 21st September.Another one! So if you plan to be in Rome that day, there will be no buses. And [perhaps] no trains.

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

No metro or buses unless the strike is cancelled. It will be extremely hard to find a taxi during the strike. If you are arriving at the airport on Sept. 21 I strongly suggest you arrange for a car to pick you up and bring you to your hotel (unless you are within walking distance of Termini). The taxi lines will be wrapped around the block.

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

How long do these stricks last???? We are arriving in Rome on Sunday, Sept. 25, going directly down to Sorrento for 3 days and then back to Rome for 4 days. How would we ever get down to Sorrento if strike is still on! Private transfer is so much $$$$$$!

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

oops...stricks??? sorry, meant STRIKE

New Jersey
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

For Crumlin:

I'll be arriving in Rome also on September 25. What time do you land? (I land at about 2:15 p.m., coming in from Spain on Iberia.)

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

Strikes can last a few hours or 24-hr. Public transportation strikes (local bus & metro) in Rome usually run from 8:30a-5pm and then again from 7p until 12m. The exact hours for each city will be annouced.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

We are arriving late on the 20 September and have booked a taxi to take us to our hotel. We are staying at the Holiday Inn San Giovanni, any suggestions how we will get to the Vatican the next day? bearing in mind this is our first visit and havn't a clue where we are going.

Polly A

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

Hi MSANNAB,

We are arriving in Rome via Dublin...hubby is originally from Dublin so stopping to see family for 2 days before Italy trip and then returning for 2 days to Dublin before flying home. Getting excitied about trip (have been once before to Italy but not with hubby) but this strike thing is making me nervous! Oh these tempered Italians! I am one, too!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

Yikes! We are arriving in Rome (via rental car, from Florence) on precisely Wed., September 21. We planned to return the car at the Rome airport and take a subway back to our hotel in the city. Getting nervous...

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

The Leonardo Express train that runs between Fiumicino Airport and Termini Station is not effected by strikes - train or public transportation. However, it will be difficult to find a taxi once you reach Termini.

Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Public transport strike, September 21st

Regarding this public transportation strike. Does this include RailEurope. We have prepaid tickets for September 22nd and I was wondering if it is affected how you would go about getting a refund.