We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome 3 or 4 nights?

Springfield...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
Rome 3 or 4 nights?

Hi! We are going to be traveling to Italy in May we only have 9 nights. We originally planned 5 nights in Lucca and 4 nights in Rome. From Lucca we are going to visit Florence and some of the towns surrounding Lucca as well as we were considering a day trip to Cinque Terre. Do you recommend we take 1 night away from Rome and spend 6 nights in Tuscony?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,683 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome 3 or 4 nights?

Like all the other major cities in Italy - Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan - there is a lot to keep you occupied for as long as you can spare so it all depends on your interests. In a short 9 night visit you are going to have to make difficult decisions on what to miss out.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome 3 or 4 nights?

Having just come from there, I think you're spreading yourself too thin. We had scheduled 3 nights for Rome, added two, and still didn't have enough time. A glimpse of CT without at least a full day between two nights would have been devastating. We had 3 nights and yearned for more. OTOH, Tuscany didn't seem that much different from Oklahoma. You won't gain much by spreading your time among several hill towns. Lucca is supposed to be one of the best, so settle down and enjoy it. Better to enjoy a few things than glimpse more while spending significant time on a train/bus.

So I would suggest 4-5 nights in Rome, 2 nights in CT, and 2-3 nights in Lucca. With the extra day in Rome, you could take the easy day trip to Ostia Antica (transportation less than an hour covered by the Roma Card) for an excavation which rivals Pompeii.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,946 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome 3 or 4 nights?

I, as well, think you are spreading yourself too thin. But then the "speed" of a vacation is a personal thing. What is relaxing to some people would be frantic to others.

I went to Florence for the first time this Feb. While I had a good time, I liked Rome a lot better. Rome has an awful amount to see and you will be skimming the surface by going there for jsut 3 days.

If you look on the map Cinque Terre is a long way from Florence. Hardly worth it for one day.

Maybe if you were going to Rome for just 3 days, maybe skip it entirely and go there on another trip in the future. Spend the whole time in tuscany. I spent my whole 11 days inn jsut Florence, and there were still things that we did not get to do.

4. Re: Rome 3 or 4 nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 17:28