We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earth Quake

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
bristol
9 posts
Save Topic
Earth Quake

I have a few friends in Rome but did not yet get a reply from anyone? Was everyone ok? One day I hope to return and do hope that the city is not badly damaged?

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earth Quake

yes, hope the itialians get through this safely....

what is the situation in there like? I am visiting Rome etc. on Apr 18.....richter 6.3 is scary....don't know if I should be changing plans?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
311 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earth Quake

I"m leaving today to Rome.

I just read that the earthquake is located 98 miles away from Rome. No damage in Rome, but major damage to the town located 98 miles away.

As I live in California, I know first had the fear someone gets after such a horrific incident.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Earth Quake

really no problem here in Rome

100 km east from rome a real tragedy though

enjoy your staying in Rome

pincopallo_it@yahoo.it

Verona, Italy
Level Contributor
3,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Earth Quake

The earthquake has hit and badly damaged Aquila.

5.8 on Richter scale which is around 9 on the Mercalli scale.

27 dead so far but could rise.

Thousands of people spent the night outdoors.

We were in our home in le Marche about 260 kms away but felt it strongly too.

I was at the computer when the chair moved and the computer shook on the desk.

Other half was downstairs glued to the football.

I always say it would take an earthquake to move him----and it did !!

A state of emergency has been declared in the area .

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earth Quake

Terrible news.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected.

K

/
Level Contributor
348 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earth Quake

I was in living in perugia at the time of the umbrian earthquake 97 WOW that power was scrarry with a quake like 6.2 they will be aftershocks and plenty They has to be aftershocks if they are not any thats when theys danger it has to settle underground but i dont (hope) think it will do no damage in Roma but they will be felt and they are scarry lol

Roma
Level Contributor
581 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Earth Quake

Rome is not a seismic zone but this time the earthquake woke up many people at 3.30 am, including myself. The quake hit especially the region of Abruzzo (center of Italy) and the town of l'Aquila and its surroundings. No damage in Rome, but a big scare still, and a feeling of deep sorrow for our fellow italians. It was a fairly strong one, at least 30 people died, many are wounded, extended damage to buildings in l'Aquila and related area. Don't travel there. The rest of Italy is OK. Thanks to all, for the feelings of sorrow. It will take a lot of effort and time to rebuild in l'Aquila

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earth Quake

Woke this morning to this terrible news,I send my prayers .

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
79 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earth Quake

Rome wasn't damaged, but L'Aquila is another story, where which there was much devastation. It's about 60 miles away, but we still felt the shock in Rome.. it's difficult to sleep on a shaking bed !

capital district ny
Level Contributor
401 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earth Quake

my mom just called me with the news.she is quite upset. they have a home in the general area but do not think their immediate area was affected, My parents are headed to Italy June 1 where they will spend the summer.