We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

So, here is the debate...what is the easiest to use throughout Italy? Cash via use of an ATM, Credit Cards or American Express Travelers Checks in US Dollars. Trying to find the most convenient and least expensive route to get our USD to Euro, and least likely for us to loose through theft. Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
22,673 reviews
from US$74.18*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
12,026 reviews
from US$60.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
486 reviews
from US$401.28*
Special Offer
Pompeii and Vesuvius – Day Trip From...
3,441 reviews
from US$146.65*
US$162.95
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,502 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Travelers Checks are a thing of the past. They are difficult to cash and carry hefty exchange fees so do not bother with them.

Use credit cards whenever possible. Use your ATM card and draw as much cash as you need for daily uses for security reasons.

Bring Amex/Visa/Mastercard and your ATM card.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
261 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

If you bank with TD Bank (previously Commerce), they do not charge any fees for international withdrawals. So this means you will ONLY be paying the exchange fee. I believe there are other banks that don't have fees (not Citibank or Chase, FYI).

Also, remember to call all the bank or credit cards to let them know you will be in Italy so they don't freeze your accounts thinking it's being used fraudulently.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Some places accept only cash.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Always check your local bank and see what kind of deal they can make for you before you leave. In addition, check to see what their fees are for ATM withdrawals and foreign exchange rates and also check your credit cards for that, some are better than others. We use a mix of cash, credit cards and ATM for additional cash withdrawals as we need it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,005 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Even if you have to pay a fee for use of an ATM, it will probably still be better than exchanging cash because the cash exchange rate is always poorer.

I get €100 before I leave home, in fairly small notes, so I don't have to look for an ATM as soon as I get off a long-haul flight. After that, I just use a debit card at ATMs.

In any case, minor differences in exchange rates or fees constitute a tiny proportion of the cost of a holiday.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
691 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Quite a few stores and restaurants frown upon credit card use, esp for transactions under say, 50 euro. Italy is not a credit card nation like the US.

It was a change for me, but I kept close track of my withdrawals from ATMs; accumulating enough each day to pay for some meals, souvenirs and our hotels with cash at the end of our stays in each city. I kept the cash in my money belt and wore it every time we left the hotel room.

Just be diligent and have fun!

Centennial, Colorado
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

If you open a Charles Schwab High Yield Checking account and get a debit card for that account, you can use any ATM's and not have any fees and if one comes up on your account, they will reimburse you. My daughter is studying abroad and she has this card and it has worked great. You even get interest into your account.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

If you have a Capital One credit card and use it overseas, they don't charge you any fees.

California
Level Contributor
408 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

Usually credit-unions give you free ATM withdrawals world-wide.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,838 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash, credit card or travelers checks???

The Capital one card is only worthwhile until you have a problem (like being double-charged by a merchant). With the poor customer service, you can end up paying more because they won't do anything about it than all the exchange fees that you might save.

Nobody take Travlers checks in Euroep.

The least expensive as far as Fees is getting your money out of an ATM. I sue ATMs while I am in itlay, but I always exchange some money before I leave because on occasion I have had difficulties with ATMs. I carry all my euros and my credit cards in a money belt under my clothes.