We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Italian Films?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Italian Films?

Can anyone suggest some good, recent Italian films for me to add to my list? Recent ones, let's say from the last 3 years?

We'll be staying home this year (boo-hoo) and will be living vicariously through TA Trip Reports and Italian films.

Best to you all, and especially those who are heading to Rome soon!

rome
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Recent Italian Films?

PS our cinema ctirics say Italian movies "talk" too much of small italian life stories...are we sure that's a limit?

rockville centre, ny
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Recent Italian Films?

Roma81jp,

Thanks for the info...it's incredible how movie makers could recreate backgrounds for movies...I should have known better.

I too, hope the movie is as good as the book.

I was very disappointed in the Da Vinci Code movie.

Love all the old Sophia/Marcello movies from the '60's also!

Ciao,

Kathy

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Recent Italian Films?

Roma81jp, you sound like you might have worked on the A&D film. My husband played one of the Vatican detectives.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Recent Italian Films?

Our cena e cine club last night watched The Tiger and the Snow (at least that's what it's called in english) by Roberto Benigni. But a good deal of it occurs in Baghdad, so I'm not sure if it qualifies.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Recent Italian Films?

Thanks all! I have found several suggestions that I can get through Netfix! Any more?

Cinzia, in addition to Netflix our library is also a very good source for films and we have a rental store nearby that has many Italian films as well, even very obscure ones. As you know, my Italian language skills are very limited but still I find it funny how they choose to subtitle a film. Sometimes a character will say several sentences and the subtitle will read "that's fine, thank you".

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Recent Italian Films?

IN years past we would get a lot of foreign films in a local theater. It was here that I saw Life is Beautiful (thanks to my wife - this was the film that opened my eyes to "Films"), and I'm pretty certain it was the only theater in the area carrying this movie (except for maybe the Ritz 5 in Philly).

Sadly, the theater has started catering more to the blockbusters and the Indy/Foreign/Small films don't get as much play.

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
37. Re: Recent Italian Films?

Just thought of another film --- Elsa & Fred. This is actually a Spanish film, the rationale for adding it to Eternal's request for Italian films is the ending.....it is pure Italian, 100%. I would say more, but it would spoil the ending.

I see alot of films, and almost never buy the DVD - this one I bought.

Synopsis from Amazon.com:

Elsa & Fred is a story about two people who, at the end of the road, discover that it s never too late to love... or to dream. Elsa is 82 years-old, while Alfredo is a bit younger than her. After losing his wife, Alfredo feels disturbed and confused so his daughter suggests him it would be best if he moved into a smaller apartment. There he ll meet Elsa. From that moment on, everything changes. Elsa bursts into his life like a whirlwind, determined to teach him that the time he has left to live - be it more or less - is precious and that he should enjoy it as he pleases.

Sophie

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
950 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Recent Italian Films?

vivebene, have you seen Marcello Mastrioanni: I Remember? Lovely loving career retrospective of the sexiest Italian man ever to be captured on film.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Recent Italian Films?

It's now more than 2-3 years old, but I finally saw Scorsese's "My Voyage to Italy" several months ago.

Really outstanding.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
868 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Recent Italian Films?

Just saw a wonderful, light Italian movie with beautiful scenery called "Marcello, Marcello." Actually, the director is Swiss, but the movie takes place on a fictional island in the Tyrennian (I know that's spelled wrong) Sea in 1956. It has a very clever plot and the actors' Italian was very clear.

One caveat: This film was part of the DC Film Fest and hasn't been generally distributed in the States as yet, if it ever will be. I'm hoping that Netflix will have it sooner or later.