We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lemoncello

Virginia
Level Contributor
131 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Lemoncello

I want to try this. It sounds quite refreshing. How do you pronounce it? It seems OK to have in the afternoon-or is it more of an after dinner thing? Or is it OK anytime of day? If it does turn out to be quite good what brand should I purchase to bring home.

Also unrelated question. Do the train ticket window people speak pretty good english. We will need to buy train tickets to Lucca in Rome. Any problem using credit card there?

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,454 Reviews
from US$82.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$410.30*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,831 Reviews
from US$60.40*
US$67.10
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,922 Reviews
from US$123.10*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lemoncello

Here is info on Limoncello. I believe Lemoncello is a brand sold in the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limoncello

pronunciation:

limon'tʃɛlːo

the I is like long e in US english (pete, seat, neat, meat)

the C is like church

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lemoncello

I wouldn't call limoncello refreshing. You can have it in the afternoon, but it's really more of an after-dinner drink. The brand that I like best is Valle dei Mulini, made in Amalfi, but I once walked through most of the historic center trying to find a bottle of it.

Ticket-sellers in Rome can normally speak a little English, but you can also use the ticket machines that have an English version and accept credit cards.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,643 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lemoncello

KCon, Here in San Diego they sell a variety of Limoncello brands wherever they sell wine/liquor so you could have a taste before you go if you find some.

I drink it plain or on a hot day over ice.

My husband screws it up(IMHO) and puts vodka in with it!

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
UK
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lemoncello

The limoncello I have been served in Italy comes in shot glasses and is a strong spirit drink. I should think you would have to add soda water or something similar to make it a "refreshing" drink.

Keep the bottle in the freezer, being high in alchohol it won't freeze.

UK
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lemoncello

Limoncello, pronounced "Lee-mon-chello with the stress on the che" is a digestive drink made with lemons, sugar and alcohol.

It is a speciality of the southern regions of Italy particularly the Campania region.

Look for brands made in Sorrento, Capri and Amalfi, areas in which the lemons are particularly large and sweet.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lemoncello

Also try Sambuca ,an anise flavored liquer ,that is 84 proof. Italians think liquorice is good for the digestion. They often put a shot of Sambuca in their coffee.

Molinari is the most popular brand..

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lemoncello

Hi

I love the limoncello and got the taste of it after we went to Florence and Tuscany. I have even bought a few bottles here at home in Norway and I have served it after dinner when we have had "Italian evenings" :-) This is the one I normally drink www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php…

Regards

Gard

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Norway
Norway
Europe
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,771 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lemoncello

Yummo!! Like the other poster suggested, keep it in the freezer.

I like it with ice and find it very refreshing!! I can buy a lovely one here in Australia at the local bottle shop, it comes from Villa Massa near to Sorrento, Massa Lubrense.

You will love it! :o)

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,500 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lemoncello

you are all getting my taste buds going, it is lovely very sweet, but also very high in alcohol so be careful with it,

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lemoncello

and... it must be served as cold as you can bear it ! In fact, it doesn't taste right even from the fridge, if you bring it back and drink it in the UK, maybe you need a really hot day for the contrast !