We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

type of camera to take?

Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
type of camera to take?

Any recommendations as to what is the best camera to take with us for our trip to Italy? I want a compact camera w/ a long battery life, 5 zoom and has 10 mega pixels. Strange question here, but I thought who better would know than travelers?

thanks

labot

Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,454 Reviews
from US$82.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$411.00*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,831 Reviews
from US$60.50*
US$67.20
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,922 Reviews
from US$123.30*
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,530 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: type of camera to take?

We love our Canon EOS. It's not the cheapest camera on the market, but it consistently takes great photos. We purchased it on Amazon. My husband is a photographer and has other cameras, but this is the one we take on vacation.

And even though you didn't ask...here are just a couple of tips for good photos:

1. Put someone or several people from your group in the picture. If you just take a photo of a monument, it's nothing but a postcard and you can buy much better ones that you can take.

2. Always use fill flash even outside in the bright sun. It will fill in the shadows and make your photos have better contrast and be more defined.

Have a great time!

Vicki

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: type of camera to take?

hello,

I, too, take my canon. It is a little larger than a point and shoot but it takes great pictures. Your compact will be fine and you will get great pictures.

donna

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: type of camera to take?

I like a small point and shoot camera as long as it is good and has a lot of zoom simply because it is easier to carry. I usually have my camcorder and a guidebook along with a purse. A big bulky camera is something I can do with out.I was looking at cameras the other day and there are many with more megapixels and zoom that are very small.The last time I was in Rome I had two cameras. For the most part, I used the smallest simply because it was convenient and didn't weigh me down.

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: type of camera to take?

I always use Canon products - great pictures, long battery life, etc. If you want a small camera, check out the canon point & shoots. they take great pictures and they're really convenient to carry around!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: type of camera to take?

I find that the LCD displays on digital cameras are useless to me in the Italian sun... I simply couldn't see what I was taking a picture of. Next trip I'll take my Nikon SLR with me. I'm still learning it but even the "auto" setting shots are better than just about anything I've done in the past.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: type of camera to take?

Whatever you decide. Make sure of one thing. Make sure you know how to turn the flash OFF. It's easy with a SLR, but if you are buying a pocket sized cam, learn your settings. You cannot use flash in a lot of places.

Taylorsville, Utah
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: type of camera to take?

The point about the LCD is a good one. I took a film camera also. When it was really bright I could at least see what I was pointing at.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,706 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: type of camera to take?

If you want a point and shoot with +5, a good lens, multiple features then go for the Canon G10. It is not cute, looks a bit like a slice of black brick, but has a metal body, and excellent lens, 14.1MP and a nice big LCD. It has a viewfinder as well which is OK at a distance but off at macro. Have a look at the specs and reviews on line through Google. A very nice compromise when an SLR is just too big. Mind you, this is also bigger than shirt pocket size, maybe jacket pocket instead.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: type of camera to take?

Actually, my small digital camera (a Canon) has a regular viewfinder as well as the screen. The viewfinder doesn't show the exact field of the photo as an SLR would, but it's close enough unless you're trying to fit your bowling team into a tight shot.

I also don't usually use fill-in flash in the sun unless the sun is behind the subject. I find it flattens the picture too much. I play around with the exposures a lot to get the best picture. I often take three shots, one exposed as recommended, one underexposed, and one overexposed. You can always use Photoshop to lighten up shadows, too.

I've had two Canon Powershots. The first one had 4 AA batteries, and they lasted a long time, although it made the camera heavier. The second one has 2 AA batteries, and the battery life is less than optimum. The first one also took better pictures.

I'm thinking of getting an EOS, but lately it seems as though some of the Nikons are getting better reviews.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: type of camera to take?

"... unless you're trying to fit your bowling team into a tight shot."

BV, I would never have pegged you as a bowler.

:-)'