We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camera Protecting

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
50 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Camera Protecting

I keep reading that you should not carry your camera visibly and look like a tourist, but I want to be free to take lost of pictures with my SLR and several lenses. What to do so this is feasible while travelling throughout Italy and France? I have a North Face daypack.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camera Protecting

Just carry your camera. There are thousands of tourists walking around taking pictures and their cameras around their necks. Yes, it's happened, but I've been all over Italy a LOT with 1-2 cameras around my neck and have never had a problem or have seen a camera taken.

Philly Burbs
Level Contributor
271 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camera Protecting

I agree with jerry. You will never get any pictures with a camera in a bag. I had a big, obvious digital slr hanging around my neck at all times except when I ate. Then I put it in my backpack and kept that pack either on a seat between me and my wife (if there was a wall behind us and the pack) or on the floor between my feet. I am a tourist, with or without the camera, no native would have trouble figuring that out. Trying to fool them is silly, you're just kidding yourself. Be proud you made it there, snap away.

south carolina
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Camera Protecting

I took over 1000 pictures during my two weeks in Europe. You can't do that with your camera in your bag. Everywhere I looked there were people carrying cameras and taking pictures. Use normal caution, relax and have a great time preserving those wonderful memories with great pictures.

Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
579 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camera Protecting

Just in case three opinions weren't enough... here's another in agreement. Our family just got back from 2 weeks in Europe, and all four of us had at least one camera around our necks at all times, including evenings. Not one problem. I didn't even see anyone eyeing our cameras suspiciously.

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camera Protecting

Millions of pics are taken each day by tourists and they manage to get back safe and sound with their camera intact too. Usual precautions you would take with it at home or anywhere else you might travel should see you through o.k.