We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Catacombs / Vatican

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Roman Catacombs / Vatican

Hello,

My wife and I will be in Rome in August, 2009. We would like to visit the catacombs, but aren't sure which tour to take. Can someone make a recommendation for us please?

On a separate trip we also plan to go to the Vatican. Any suggestions for that as well.

Tom and Karen

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

YOu can pre-purchase entrance tickets or a tour of the vatican at the vatican website

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

The basilica is free and can be seen before or after your museums visit. You can only get to the Sistine Chapel through the museums.

There are some catacombs that you can see without a tour. San Clemente is my favorite.

Donna

Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

Hi Donna,

OK...........thanks.

Do any of the catacombs actually have relics in them or are they empty. We don't know what to expect.

Tom and Karen

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

San Clemente is *not^ a catacomb. It is a medieval church built over an early Christian church built over a Mithraic temple.

Catacombs are, by definition, labyrinthine; they cannot be visited without a tour.

There are no relics in the catacombs.

There are several catacombs off the Appian Way. The catacombs of Santa Priscilla and Sant'Agnese are closer to the center.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

The excavations of San Clemente has been described as "a labyrinth of dark and moldy chambers, tunnels and niches." It does not require a tour to see it. It is 3 churches constructed on top of one another. Unfortunately there are no relics left at San Clemente but it is still a great place to visit.

the catacombs along the Appian way require a tour. You can check out companies like viator.com and darkrome.com for catacomb tours.

Donna

Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

That was very helpful !!

Our sence is that you are very knowledgable.

Do you have sugestions on "must see" catacombs?

Very much appreciated.

Tom and Karen

Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

Thank you Donna.

You seem very experianced to us.

Can you make a recommendation to us please?

Tom and Karen

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
30,793 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

I would suggest the catacomb of Saint Callixtus.

Check out this website.

catacombe.roma.it/welcome.html

It gives a ton of good information that you will find helpful. You can also check out.

nationalgeographic.com/history/ancient/catac…

Donna

Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

OK...........I will.

Once again, thank you.

Tom and Karen

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

I've been to the catacombs of St. Callixtus out at the start of the Appia Antica. When you arrive and buy your ticket they put you on a list for a tour in your language. When that list gets to a certain number they take your group on a tour. There are several entrances and exits and you are rarely aware that there might be another tour going on.... they are that substantial and sprawling.

You might want to consider the catacombs of Priscilla:

…tiscali.it/catacombe_priscilla/…regina.htm

They are located not terribly far from your hotel:

http://tinyurl.com/r7xbl2

It's about a 50 minute walk from your hotel if you are so inclined but I'm sure getting a cab from your hotel would be easy. The area is outside the historic center and perhaps not as charming for a long walk. Their website makes some public transport suggestions as well.

While I have not been to the catacombs of Priscilla it has received good reviews here at TA and it's on my list of things 'to do' next trip.

canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roman Catacombs / Vatican

it was mentioned in this thread that you have to be with a tour to visit the catacombs? is this somehting that must be pre booked, or can you just show up at the catacombs whenever you feel like it and join a tour? which catacombs are the most impressive??