We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

We have an 8:15 am flight on BA to London Heathrow. How early do we need to get to the airport? I am guessing the first Leonardo Express train is too late.

Also, does anyone know if our bags will be checked all the way through to Dallas? We switch to American in London. It was booked as one codeshare trip. Will we get all of our boarding passes when we check in at FCO?

Thanks so much!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

You luggage will be checked all the way to Dallas.

You have to know that at Heathrow you have to go through the security again, so do not buy in duty-free stores anything you can not take with you on airplane. You should get you boarding passes for both trips, but if you do not have your boarding pass for your second part, at Heathrow you will get it after passing security line. You probably have to change terminals there as well. Good luck!

CA
Level Contributor
361 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

Recommend a hotel close to the airport?

gxp
Niagara
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

Hilton Garden Inn is convenient.

The airport does not have good signage for getting around and there's not many elevators if you need them.

Allow time if that's a factor.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

The first Leonardo Express arrives at the airport at 6:53, which is probably early enough for an inter-Europe flight. There are earlier trains leaving from the other stations in Rome, such as Tiburtina, Ostiense, and Trastevere. I don't know if your hotel is near one of these stations, but if it is, you could be at the airport as early as 5:48.

You would usually get all your boarding passes at one time, since the flight to London is a short one. Sometimes I need to get the passes for the ongoing flight at the intermediate airport, but that's more likely to happen if the first flight is a long one.

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

Do you think arriving on the train at 6:53 will be cutting it too close? We've never been to this airport, but it would save us some money.

We are staying right near the Termini. I was thinking maybe we should get a taxi or shuttle. What pick up time do you think we should ask for?

Thanks for all the info.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

It's right on the borderline of not being early enough for me. I usually like to leave 1 1/2 hours for an international flight, and 2 or more for a transatlantic flight. In Rome, flights to the US often (not always) pass through the new terminal 5, after which the passenger must take a shuttle to Terminal C. In that case, I would leave more than 2 hours. However, a flight to London should in theory be doable with little over an hour.

I hate to recommend something that's at all risky, though. What I would do for myself is different from what I would recommend to someone else.

You could take the metro from Termini station to Ostiense and change to the FR1 airport train there. The metro stop is called Piramide, and it's fairly easy to get from the metro to the train. That would allow you to get to the airport a lot earlier.

For a taxi, I would allow an hour. The trip should take 40-50 minutes, but there may be traffic early in the morning.

Texas
Level Contributor
102 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

Bvlenci,

Thanks for your help. I'm interested in maybe doing the metro to get to the other stattion for the train. Can you help me with where to find timetables etc?

How much time should we allow for the metro from Termini to the other train station? Do the metros run that early in the morning?

Thanks,

Shandra

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

To get to Ostiense station, you would take Metro B in the direction of Ostiense. Piramide is the fourth stop, and it would take about 10 minutes to get there from Termini,and metro service is already active at 5 AM. (Maybe even earlier, I can't get the page to load.) Here is a map of the metro and train system:

www.atac.roma.it/docunet/file.asp?mid=3&rid=4

You can see the timetables from Ostiense station to the airport on this site:

http://trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html

Put in "Rome Ostiense" as the departure point and "Fiumicino airport" as the destination. The train ride takes about half an hour.

fort lauderdale, fl
Level Contributor
61 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

Bvienci,

This may be a dumb follow-up question, but I was wondering if there was any advantage at all in using Ostiense (sp?) as a hub instead of Termini? We are coming in from Civitavecchia, and are staying near Piazza Venezia.

I noticed that we could get off the train from Civitavecchia at Ostiense and hop on the Metro to Cavour, which gets us a little closer to our hotel....is this just dumb? I know we can go to Termini, and take the Metro to the same stop as well.

I'm guessing there is a minimal time and money difference-would that be correct?

Thanks!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how ealry to be at FCO for 8:15 am flight to LHR?

It would make very little difference whether you get off at Termini and catch the metro back one stop, or get off at Ostiense and take it forward three stops. Can you walk to your hotel from the metro stop with your luggage, or are you then taking a taxi? If you're taking a taxi, I think you'd be better taking it from one of the train stations rather than from Cavour metro station, where I don't remember seeing a cab stand. (Maybe I'm wrong.)