We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roman Gladiator School

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
183 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Roman Gladiator School

Has anyone been to or heard about the Roman Gladiator School located near the Appian Way which runs a 2 hour education and training program on gladiators? If so, what do you know about it and how much fun would be for a teenage boy?

Likely To Sell Out
Skip the Line: St Peter’s and Sistine...
23,051 reviews
from US$77.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: Sistine Chapel Viewing...
530 reviews
from US$416.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Tour...
2,844 reviews
from US$125.00*
Skip the Line: Ancient Rome and...
11,644 reviews
from US$58.00*
Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roman Gladiator School

I'm really interested in this too as my whole family (17 of us!)is staying on the outskirts of Rome for two weeks and I thought that this would be good for my nephews birthday - he will be 9 and the other children going with him will be 7 and 13.

But i have heard mixed reports and also thought that it may be too dificult to find and also too hot in August.

so any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
35,511 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roman Gladiator School

Viator.com offers a gladiator tour and it has a lot of reviews that you can read.

viator.com/tours/…d511-2466GLAD

There is also this wonderful article that may help.

/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/3386286/Those-who-are-about-to-dine-salute-you-Rome-gladiator-school.html

I think it really depends on the boy as to whether or not he will enjoy it. At one point our son would have loved it but now that he is a little older I think he would not be so enthusiastic about it.

Donna

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roman Gladiator School

Put "Roman Gladiator School" in the search box. There have been lots of threads about it. many feel it is too far from the center and you must use a taxi to reach it. Others say the lesson ,which is 2 hours ,cost over $100. Others were disappointed with the instruction..others loved it. Read all the reviews and then you can make up your mind.

It all depends on the age of the children...probably in their teens they will think it dorky.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roman Gladiator School

I don't know if it is true or still in effect but I had heard that the school used to offer discounts to anyone who brought or used their own equipment.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,537 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roman Gladiator School

sean49, my mind is boggling at that. "Now kid, don't forget to pack the trident, net and sword so you can get a discount at the gladiator school.And has anyone seen my greaves and helmet?"

New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roman Gladiator School

Lynn, it might be easier if you and the kids wore the outfits onto the plane, clearing security would be a problem but would not count against your baggage weight. I agree, this option probably existed for locals and other regulars.

rome
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roman Gladiator School

lol, we just had friends visit us from Germany (by car!) and their 2 boys did have a complete outfit/Roman soldier gear (actually, several) - and it didn't stop them from buying even other ones while here, as well!

dallas
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roman Gladiator School

Yes, my kids and I just went (at the end of June). Yes, it was expensive (welcome to Italy). Yes, it is a ways out, so take a taxi (hey, you wanted to see the Appian Way anyhow, right?). Yes, it was one of the highlights of our 3 week trip to Italy, and definately our favorite thing in Rome. My daughters are 12 & 16, I'm 40++ and it was a blast. After the first couple of minutes of "this is dorky", you get sucked right into it and it's really fun. I'm about to write a full review, but I wanted to let you know what our experience was. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

9. Re: Roman Gladiator School

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 05:16