We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
169 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

Is photography permitted in the museums of the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel and also in the Basilica of St. Peter's? Thanks

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

Photography - without flash - is permitted in the Vatican Museums; no photography is permitted in the Sistine Chapel. Photography is also permitted in St. Peter's Basilica. Tripods are not permitted anywhere.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

That said ,and Zerlina is right. Once in the Sistine Chapel people break the rules all the time and take photos. It is really disgusting!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

Yes, as has been mentioned, photography is NOT allowed at all in the Sistine Chapel, but you will see people ignoring this rule, and snapping away.

PPLLLEEEAAASSSSSEEEEE don't. Just because lots of other people are, doesn't just mean that "I might as well..."

Security will also ask you to stop. (If they started to confiscate cameras, that may have more of an effect...)

Enjoy your trip!! Rome and Vatican City is beautiful!!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

Yes I found that really annoying in the Sistine Chapel. There are numerous poatcards and books you can buy with much better pictures than you are going to get in a quick sneaky snap anyway.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

It should be security's job to keep people from taking photos in there. When everyone else is taking pictures, I took them also.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

If one just wanted a postcard or a book, one could buy one from Amazon.com and save oneself the cost of an Italian vacation.

I do get especially peeved in places like SS Giovanni e Paulo or parts of Castel Sant'Angelo where they don't let you take pictures (even without the flash) but they don't have any pictures you can buy of the frescoes either.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
804 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

If you take photos in the Sistine Chapel alarms go off these days.

I did read somewhere that there is a company providing private tours when the museum is closed in the evening which allows you to take photos in the Chapel. I wonder how legal/ethical this is? Doesn't it damage the frescos?

I think I remember from the tour I did that the Japanese are allowed to take photographs, as a Japanese TV company paid for restauration.

I'm sure someone will confirm or refute this, should be interesting to hear!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,989 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

>>If you take photos in the Sistine Chapel alarms go off these days.<<

If you don't use flash, how can an alarm know a photo has been taken?

>>I did read somewhere that there is a company providing private tours when the museum is closed in the evening which allows you to take photos in the Chapel. I wonder how legal/ethical this is? Doesn't it damage the frescos?<<

Taking a photo without flash cannot damage the frescoes.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
804 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

I meant with flash. Duh-uh.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photography in the Vatican City's Musuems, Sistine Chapel

It is true, that when the big restoration work was being undertaken, that a Japanese company bought the exclusive rights to photographs of the restoration work.

But I believe it is an urban myth that they have the ALL the rights for any image of the chapel. That's not true.

The rule of no photos is there by rule of the Vatican. For what exact reason - who knows? You could take the cynical approach and say it is because they would prefer people buy a book from the gift shop. Or, it could be as a token of respect. The chapel is, after all, a very holy and important place.

Or, I just like to look at it this way. No photograph in the world, can do justice to the beauty of the art. Better to just spend your time drinking it all in.