We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Wireless usage

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Verizon Wireless usage

Has anyone had any experience using their Verizon Wireless GSM phone?

Just wondering how the connection is?

I have to get a new phone and I thought I might get one with GSM and have it unlocked to use just for one or two minutes at a time.

Would like to hear from anyone who has used their Verizon Wireless.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

make sure it can be unlocked. not all can.

New Jersey, U.S.A
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

I did not have a GSM Verizon wireless, but as a Verizon customer, I was able to rent a GSM phone from them. Rental is minimal, believe I only paid under $5 plus shiipping. It's for infrequent overseas travelers (have to be gone for under 30 days). Of course you pay for all minutes used. The reception was excellent. We were in Rome, Sorrento, and the Tuscany region. They delivered the phone just 2 days prior to our departure...turned off my regular cell phone and activated the GSM phone. I also kept my same phone #. When I returned home, called them and they re-activated my regular cell and I shipped the GSM phone back.

Hope this helps you.

BMY

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

Thanks BMY New Jersey

I am still debating. They did offer the phone you used. I am relieved to hear the coverage was great.

I have to get a new phone right now and thought maybe if I got the global I wouldn't have to do all the switching of the phone number back and forth.

Ohio
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

I spent countless hours figuring it all out and weighing the pros and cons. I too need a new phone and was thinking the same as you, get a quad band GSM and have it unlocked, pick up a TIM card in Italy or maybe online. What I learned....

Not all of Verizon's phones can be unlocked. Very few have this capability. Google the "<phone you want> & unlock". Visit a few of the hits to make sure it is capable of being unlocked. And how much will that cost? As little at $3 if the site is legit up to $30 for a more secure sounding site. Is it legit?

Then I checked out the cost of a TIM card and learned it is cheaper to buy it in Italy, according to many, for less than half what you can get it online for. So I started looking for a store in Italy to purchase that card.

Well hell, I thought, I want the internet. Getting directions, accessing websites for telephone numbers, that's what I really wanted when traveling. So I started researching that. This is where I said forget it. I don't really NEED the internet. Cost prohibitive. Convenience not worth the $$.

In the end I decided to pay Verizon's shipping fee of $9.99 + a one time $4.99 fee for the "global bundle" (this lowers the cost of calls from $1.29/min to $0.99/min. There is no deposit, no daily rental fee, no minimum use, text messages are $0.50 to send and $0.05 to receive. They ship the phone to my home, ready to dial. I send it back at the end of my vacation. It's done.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

I did the same thing for a trip to Paris and London in April. I too am up for a new phone, but I realized that per minute price of the calls would not be different if I used my own phone or the $9.99 rental. I decided to give myself more time to decide which new phone would be best for me and I'm thinking that I need one of those netbooks for the next trip - the ability to search for info needed AND Skype to call home almost free.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
373 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

Meant to add that after I received the rental, I went to a Verizon kisok and they downloaded my address book for free - added the international numbers needed to the phone numbers as an extra number entry for the folks I call most frequently. Reception was great everywhere.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

Will do some more research on this.

I was under the impression if I had the quadband phone and it was unlocked it would work anywhere internationally.

I really think it would be quite a hassle to have to locate the cards for the phone etc.

There is so much I am learning.

Thanks

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

I bought this global SIM card from telestial.

www.telestial.com/view_product.php…

Minutes from Europe to North America are $0.49. Texts are $0.69 (I don't text much).

You pop it into you unlocked quad band phone and that's it. no sending the phone back when you are done. no monthly chares when you are not using it.

I bought a cheap Razr on ebay to use it in and I've had it since 2006.

You buy minutes for it online or have autorefill with your credit card of record.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

I think one of the differences with the verizon phone is that it uses a different system then they do in europe...the system in europe is like att&t...(I am not a techie so i get all those letters mixed up) but there are some verizon phones now that can be used here i think the renown one by samsung is one of those...what I am not sure about is if that is an unlocked phone or not or if you can substitute a "local italian" sim card or not. but my friends when they were here with that phone used it as is with no problems....

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon Wireless usage

I have AT&T and have internaitonal calling turned on for the month I am away. My cousin has Verizon. A friend of hers told her that she would give her a phone to use in Italy and that's all she would need is the SIM card. I'm assuming this is the phone you are all talking about. My question is where does she get the SIM card in Rome? And what would she have to do to activate that phone? We want to be able to call each other if we separate. Thanks.