We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

museums for a teenager

ontario
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
museums for a teenager

which museums would be more interesting for a 16 boy. we are staying next to the vatican and don"t mind walking.

thanks you

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: museums for a teenager

What kinds of things interest your son? Is he at all interested in history? ancient Rome? or in art? Kids at that age are very different one from another.

The Capitoline Museums are great if he's at all interested in ancient Rome. On the lower level, you can see the foundations of the ancient Temple of Jupiter, and the whole museum is full of ancient statues, some of which may surprise him. It also has great views over the Roman Forum.

Castel Sant'Angelo is near the Vatican, and looks very like a typical castle, although it was originally the mausoleum of the emperor Hadrian. There is usually some sort of exhibit going on, but often they're not of much interest. You should definitely go up to the terrace on the top level, where there is a snack bar and great views over the city.

There are two smaller private museums that give a good idea of how wealthy families lived during the Renaissance.

The Villa Farnesina is near the Tiber in Trastevere, actually walking distance from the Vatican. It was once a suburban villa owned by the wealthy Farnese family, whose urban palazzo, the Palazzo Farnese, on the other side of the river, is now the French Embassy. The Villa is set in a lovely garden and has spacious rooms with wonderful frescoes.

The Galleria Doria Pamphilj is a Renaissance palazzo still owned and partly occupied by descendants of the Doria Pamphilj family. There is an excellent audio tour narrated by a member of the family. The family's art collection is displayed on the walls much as it was during the Renaissance.

It's not a museum, but most kids find Ostia Antica, the remains of the ancient port of Rome, fascinating. I took my teenaged nieces there in the spring and they loved it. Aside from the theatre, the bath complex, and the amphitheatre, you get to see some ancient Roman apartment buildings; a bar, with the counter intact, and a mosiac showing the kind of food they have to offer; and an ancient Roman public toilet with intact seats.

All of these would have been very interesting to my kids at that age, but, as I said, I'm not sure what your son's interests are. I strongly suggest giving him a guidebook with lots of pictures in it; the DK Eyewitness guidebook is good for that. Let him pick out several things he'd really like to see, and go see them even if they don't interest you.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: museums for a teenager

Can I add a few?

The Centrale Montemartini - a mile or so south of the centre of Rome, out on Via Ostiense. A former electrical generating station has been turned into an unusual home for more than 400 pieces of statuary from the Capitoline collection - perhaps doubling the chances of it being appreciated?

Some pictures here: http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/martini

There's normally something of interest to be seen somewhere within the huge Vittorio Emanuele complex - the big white typewriter or wedding cake building - and if nothing catches the attention particularly, the building and the wider and wider views as you climb through its layers will probably be enough to keep you both amused on their own!

My other suggestion would be the Etruscan collection at the Villa Giulia - if only because it makes a change from all the ancient Roman stuff!

Peter

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: museums for a teenager

One of our DE for Rome has written an excellent guide book for Rome. "Rome With Kids" sometimes people think the book is for very young children but this is not true. The book is a wonderful guide of museums, activities, and places to eat that young people enjoy.

The book is small enough to fit into a back pack!

The author is J.M Pasquesi and you can buy the book on Amazon.

Toronto
Level Contributor
175 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: museums for a teenager

Our teens loved the Bernini Sculptures at the Borghese Gallery. I think that it was the size and detail in the sculpture and also the link to the greek myths. Sistine chapel and Vatican they were less inspired by probably related to the crowds. They enjoyed the catacombs at St Callisto and walking the Appian Way as well. We did not do any out trips but I am returning in October and I am planning to go to Ostia Antica as well as Orvieto. Have a great trip!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: museums for a teenager

Not long ago, my kids were 16 (both boys). I would say teen boys love: Castel Sant'Angelo, exploring its ramps and ramparts is great fun -- don't stop till you make it to the rooftop. The glass elevator at the Vittoriano monument is very Charley and the Chocolate factory, great views and free telescopes. Inside the Vittoriano there's a free military museum with swords and things, complete with Rome's eagle and "SPQR" insignia on them, the Capitoline museums, though fairly large, are worth it if you can stick to finding a few choice items, like the underground tunnel which leads to a terrace and view over the forum, or the temple of Jove, with its own modern room built around it, exactly where it was excavated.

Lots to see; you will be busy.

6. Re: museums for a teenager

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2010, 07:16