We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
671 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

Hi

We have tickets for a Scavi tour on Wed 19th August at 1.45pm

I keep reading about the long queues in the morning for the Museums so wonder should be buy tickets for the museums and go in the morning and hope the queues will be a bit shorter as its the Papal Audience day or have we enough time to do the museums and the Sistine Chapel after the Scavi Tour.

We can do St Peter's on another Day

Thanks for any advice

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

The Scavi tour lasts about 1 hour. The Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel closes at 6 pm.

If you reserve tickets for the Vatican Museums you can bypass the long lines and go either in the morning or the afternoon.

The Piazza and many areas will be crowded on Wednesdays.

new york city
Level Contributor
332 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

how does one reserve vatican museum tickets in advance? we're going in march and just want to go to the museum and the sistine.

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

Re booking online for Vatican-I am by no means an expert-in fact travelling to Italy for first time next month!But thanks to TA advice I've managed to prebook Vatican,Borghese and Uffizi in Florence.Relatively straightforward in all cases.Official website for Vatican is www.vatican.va,then go to Vatican museums.Self-explanatory from there.I also have found Ron in Rome's site fantastic for all kinds of info.

Hope that helps.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,155 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

You can book just tickets for the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel,or you can book a tour at the website mentioned above. Once you have your confirmation you just show up at the entrance to the museums about 15 minutes before you scheduled time and show the guard your confirmation.

Once you're finished with the Scavi Tour you will be in St. Peter's and you can explore it all you want since you've passed security.

italybound@verizon.net

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

Hi If I have tickets for the Scavi Tour, does that allow me to pass the queues.

Do we have to pass through museum or Sistene Chapel to get to Scavi Tour. If not and I wanted to do them is it easy enough or do I have to back track.

Thanks for all the info.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
31,807 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

The scavi tour is no where near the museums. You must go to the left side of St. Peter's basilica to the Swiss Guard shack. Show them your reservation and they will let you in for the tour. Make sure to arrive at least 15 minutes early to check in.

The scavi pass has nothing to do with the museums and will not allow you to bypass any line for the museums. The only way to do this is with pre-purchased museum tickets or a tour of the museums. The link for purchasing tickets or a tour is:

…vatican.va/musei/tickets/do…

Donna

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

Thanks Donna

8. Re: More questions about tour of Vatican Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2010, 05:16