We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in Italy for January travel

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
weather in Italy for January travel

Hi,

Trying to decide if I should go to Italy in January...What is the weather generally???

Clothing must haves??? Sites musthaves for that time of year???? 50ish female..

Thankyou

Level Contributor
2,852 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

January can be cold and damp. You need a heavy jacket and gloves. The advantage of traveling at that time of year is that there are no crowds. You may actually be the ony person at Trevi Fountain in the early evening and there may only be a handful of people there in the middle of the day. That experience alone is priceless! You will save money on airfare and hotels by touring in the off season. The weather will be better than January in New Hampshire - it it extremely rare to snow in Rome.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
594 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

Hello Nicholas_inn

whats the weather like now? i see its raining and going to continue to do so. this is definately taking my picnic plans out of the picture but will this hamper our plans to walk around the city too?

thanks

DELRAY BEACH, FL
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

Hello,

I also am considering Rome in January. I hear it is cold but warmer than NH. I am in my early 60s and impervious to the cold as long as there are no long lines. I have a business deal pending(sb closed by the end of Dec) so I have not confirmed plans yet.

Palm Harbor , FL
Level Contributor
589 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

I was in Milan last January..therre is something about the Italian sun that is way warmer..there were roses in bloom!!!! But there is no cold like the cold in a stone building. I grew up in Boston and it will feel like a day at the beach compared to NH.

I am 52...I brought a wide woolish (TJ MAXX) paisley scarf and used it everyday over my black Pcoat and then around my shoulders in restaurants. You will need gloves and warm sox..and definitely bring very warm jammies. I brought sweats and slept in them every night. I also brought a pair of silk long underwear but only wore the top a couple times under a thin sweater.

Really the only thing you may not have already is very comfortable shoes. That is where to spend some money. Look on this site under what to wear and clothing and you will see the ongoing fights about what to wear. Trust me you will feel better if you bring your nicer clothes...as long as they are comfortable.

I love Italy in the winter..we are off to Rome in Late November...I will bring for 11 days a total of 4 pairs of pants, 3 of them black, 3 turtlenecks 3 other colored long sleeve Lands End tops, 2 thin sweaters and a few scarfs and 2 pairs of shoes and my trusty sweats to sleep in ... but don't stress..wear sunglasses and smile.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

I agree that January is lovely. Crisp, yes, but not freezing by any means. Expect 40-50 faren, rarely less than 32, and hopefully a lot of warm sun. I'm comfortable with a thin under layer or two and a light jacket. Thin, easily stashable gloves and a scarf usually take care of any dips in temp.

San Diego. Ca
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

Can you tell me if it rains a lot in January? When is the rainy season there? Cold I don't mind,rain can limit your travels.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in Italy for January travel

November is one of the rainiest months in Rome and mid-jan-mid-feb is the other, I think. I'm never in the city in February, so maybe nicolasinn can enlighten further.