We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Airfare to Rome

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Airfare to Rome

Ciao! My family and I (6 adults) will be travelling to Rome and Florence for two weeks in May 2010. We have begun planning our trip. Since I am the only experienced traveler of the group, they tend to look to me for answers. Well, here is one question I happen not to have a sound answer for:

Should we get our air tickets now ($800 +) or wait, hoping they will go down?

We will be flying out of Washington D.C. My gut feeling is that they should go down to the $700 range toward mid to late fall. I am starting to get nervous because the ticket prices seem to be going up for the last month or so.

Any help or insight you might be able to offer is greatly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Vatican Museums Skip the Line Tour...
23,440 Reviews
from US$82.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Sistine Chapel VIP Private Viewing...
538 Reviews
from US$412.60*
Special Offer
Ancient Rome and Colosseum Skip the...
11,819 Reviews
from US$60.80*
US$67.50
Likely To Sell Out
Rome Colosseum Underground Chambers...
2,919 Reviews
from US$123.80*
Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

My daughter and I are going May 12-20, 2010. We bought our flights on 7/28 because the prices dropped for just a day or so. United nonstop to Rome from Dulles. We paid $753, which I thought was good for a nonstop to Rome. We paid $822 to fly Iberia to Rome this past April, with a change of planes in Madrid. Would have loved to have taken the United flight then, but it was over $1100.

$753 might not be the lowest fare we could get, but there is only one nonstop from DC to Rome and I did not think the prices would come down on that one. If they do, I am still pleased with the price we got.

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Royersford...
Level Contributor
169 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

Hello

We too are also looking for May 2010 17th-27th. We were in Rome this past May around the same time and we got great pricing. Our travel agent (Liberty) called and told us USAir out of Philadelphia was $597.00/ea total! we booked immediately that was in the end of Feb- beginning of March. The recession helped then too. We are looking again for great rates since we live in PA and would like to leave from Philly airport. I keep checking USAir pricing but who knows what the fuel charge will be in 2010.

At one time before we left the airfare went down to $498.00 but I think that was so they can leave with a full plane to Rome. Airfare is the major concern in planning a trip. Hope we all find great deals and who knows see each other in beautiful Roma!

Good Luck to all.

Margarita/PA

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Roma
Roma
Rome, Italy
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,891 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

You might check with one of the independent travel sites like kayak.com to pull a trending report for fares on that market.

In the recent past, $800 would have been a fabulous deal to Rome in spring. This summer fares went lower. There's no way to really predict as it's all a mix of current market conditions.

I took a quick look on Kayak and $782 on Iberia was the best.

My instinct in watching world economies starting to revive a bit is that I would be surprised to see this one come down a whole lot lower. But I also think that you're far enough out that you could wait just a bit to see what happens.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

I would wait a while. It's too early for any possible fare sales that might pop up if they see they're not filling the flights. I usually buy tickets about two months in advance.

boston
Level Contributor
74 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

i am also planning for may 2010 from boston.i went last may on alitalia for $400. i am going to hold out to see if there are any deals. there usually are.

Orlando, Fl
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

For my last three trips to Rome I have booked through Vayama.com and have come out with very good prices. I would log on to airfarewatchdog.com as well. This website will give you the current days fare.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

I, too, am trying to plan a trip to Rome in June os 2010. Want to use miles for FF for at least 2 of the 6 tickets...prices out of Cincinnati are running $1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking I should wait as well!!!!!!

Do many of you suggest a travel agent or do you do it independently???

I travel LOTS and have had a lot of luck on my own but wouldn't mind consulting....I just know someone is making money somewhere....thoughts????

THANK YOU!

Amarillo TX
Level Contributor
455 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

Hello everyone!

We (4 of us) are planning about 3 weeks in Italy starting around May 19th. I have been watching flights on travelocity and expedia, and the continental site since it allowed us to book that far in advance. We will be flying into Rome and out of Zurich, going via Florence, Venice, Verona, Milan then Zurich. Over the summer, the flights were an astonishing 556.00 from Amarillo TX! an incredible price! Then it went up to 756, then the first prices for next may started at $2200. I nearly fell out of my chair! they have continued to come down and I can now book for around 1050 on Continental. I am still going to wait - I'm hoping for a few hundred more off. If we get anywhere near the 750 mark I am booking. I check at least twice a week! Good luck!!

Deb

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Verona
Verona
Province of Verona, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
NJ
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

It's always a risk either way you slice it because some on unforeseen issues may arise. I would say check the prices in a month (Sept) and see if the price has gone down. It seems that in the summer months the prices are at the highest (and the holiday season). I've bought tickets in the summer and almost paid double the price it was in Sept. So like I said give it till Sept maybe early Oct and then book the tickets.

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booking Airfare to Rome

Thanks for all of your great suggestions. I think we will wait a bit longer. I will def. look into using some of the websites listed. Again, thanks sooo much!

Ciao