We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Capitoline or Borghese

Which Rome hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Capitoline or Borghese

Which museum would be a better choice if you could do one?

We do enjoy history so Maybe Capitoline or should we try to do both?

Any suggestions?

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
370 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

We've been to both several times. The Borghese has the most beautiful art in the world, in my opinion. What makes the Borghese so special is the presentation. The villa is spectacular and the rooms are ornate and it's almost like seeing the art in situ. That said, for a history buff the Capitoline is amazing. I'm also a history buff and would choose the Capitoline over the Borghese. My daughter prefers the Borghese. It's a tough choice...

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,247 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

Capitoline for history. I've been there for 4-6 hour periods. I love it.

Borghese has some great scultures forn one period in Rome's history. You have to make an appointment and they kick you out at the end of 2 hours.

The Bernini-s at Borghese are awesome: Appolo and Daphne, Proserpine and Pluto, David (Bernini self-protrait), and so on.

Roma
Level Contributor
203 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

Follow your daugher!... or choose in the middle: I love Galleria Nazionale di Arte Moderna in Villa Borghese (Valle Giulia) with a great art selection of the last two centuries!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

My vote is for the Galleria Borghese, but if you can do both, do both!

The Capitoline Museums are some of the largest and oldest collections of busts and sculptures in the world. If antiquity is your thing - if you like seeing the different materials used and how they treated the human form across the periods - that will be your thing. Think long hallways of busts and statues.

The Galleria, on the other hand, is an actual home that was converted into a gallery. For this reason it has a cozier feel - in addition to the paintings and absolutely incredible sculptures, the home decor contributes to the overall ambience.

I like that you can get through the Galleria in a couple hours, because I get overwhelmed when it takes longer than that. For me it's the perfect balance.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

Very difficult to say, each is very memorable. The Borghese is much smaller, being one man's art collection- Cardinal Borghese. But my what taste he had. Wonderful Bernini pieces in a lovely setting, a beautiful villa in one of Rome's parks. The odd Caravaggio too- he could spot a masterpiece with ease.

The Capitoline is, allegedly, the world's oldest museum, and is in fact more than one collection. Sitting right at the top of Michelangelo's glorious Capitol Square, it houses some of the world's finest treasures from the time of the Roman Empire, including the original equestrian statue that was originally in the Piazza, the colossal statue of Constantine, wonderful Roman statuary, a very good picture gallery, and part of it offers lovely views over the Roman Forum too. A glimpse into Ancient Rome, right where it all happened, in fact.

On reflection, I wouldn't miss either!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

thanks

I am going to try to do both.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
945 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

One of the Capitoline has nothing to do with its collection (or the Galleria Borghese's collection), but rather its location. It is next to the Piazza Venezia, has a great view over historical Rome, overlooks the Roman Forum, and the Colosseum is a short walk away. While the Galleria Borghese is in the beautiful Borghese Gardens, Rome's Central Park, which also contains a zoo and several other museums, and the Pincio overlooking the Piazza del Popolo, it's a bit out of the way. If you have a tight time budget, the Capitoline might work better.

New Jersey, USA
Level Contributor
945 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

I meant, One of the advantages the Capitoline has...

9. Re: Capitoline or Borghese

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 06:19