We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy blowdryer?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
660 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy blowdryer?

I'd like to buy a blowdryer with the correct plug for Italy. Where is the best place in the center to find a good one? The ones provided in the hotels are never strong enough and take forever to dry hair! Thanks!

New York City
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

Just buy the European socket adapter and take your own blow dryer.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

As a regular business visitor to Italy, I too bought an "Italian" hairdryer, not having to worry about packing in adaptors each trip.

I purchased mine at La Rinascente, but there are plenty of shops selling hairdryers - ask your hotel when you arrive.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
660 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

I always bring two adaptors for all the rechargers I need, but when I brought my own blowdryer, it burned out. So that's why I want one to be used specifically in italy...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

Finding a shop with small household appliances is not going to be a problem in Rome. What you will pay for it (if that's important to you) will largely depend on where you shop. Prices on most items fall dramatically as you get farther from the historic center.

On our last trip we found a wonderful kitchen shop just a few blocks outside the most touristy part of Trastevere that had many items that I had admired in other stores at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck with the hunt!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

I have hair that needs a serious blow dryer and haven't found a hotel or a dual voltage one yet that does the job. The best thing to do is find one in Italy, or anywhere that runs on 220, and then buy different adapters for different countries. I now have hair appliances that work all over Europe but purchased in the UK.

As for Rome, I know if you come by train, or are near the station, they have a few stores in there that sell blow dryers.

Have fun!

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

I had a travel hairdryer than I bought in K-Mart years ago, that I used all over the world without a problem. You do have to remember to switch the voltage between 120 and 220. It finally burned out when I forgot to do that once.

There are lots of shops that sell hairdryers in Rome, even at the airport. However, the ones in "travel" shops cost a good deal more. There's a department store in Termini station that sells just about everything. It's near track 24, and you'll pass it if you take the Leonardo Express from the airport.

USA
Level Contributor
196 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

I hope the B&B we are staying at has a good blowdryer. I have tried the voltage adaptors but only succeed in ruining my own blowdryer or causing a power outage in our room. Now, I hate to carry it with me and not be able to use it anyway so I put up with the weak dryers.

Good luck with this, ellenami!

Sedona
Destination Expert
for Sedona
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

You can ask the B & B to provide one for you. When we were looking for an apartment, we asked owners of the 3 places we were considering to provide a hair dryer, and all said yes.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
974 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

The ones the B & B will provide will have the power of zero. Take your own or purchase one when there.

It's the ones that dangle off a cord on the bathroom wall, I just love the most! So practical to use!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,852 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to buy blowdryer?

Ahhh.... and this is why the blow dryers are useless... the powerful ones will blow the fuses/circuit breakers... ha! Gotta love it!