We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pompeii-one way or round trip

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
733 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
pompeii-one way or round trip

We are going to Pompeii Saturday

Should we buy our return ticket ahead of time?

Trying to avoid a line and would like to sit together-three of us.

But what happens if we decide to stay longer or leave earlier?

Advice please

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pompeii-one way or round trip

I think you will have to buy a roundtrip to avoid the train being full on the way back.

You would have to give a return time and stick to that. If you don't you would have to back a new ticket for the return journey (if there are still seats available).

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
33,909 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pompeii-one way or round trip

I always buy return tickets but you don't need to. Check the trenitalia site for the schedule of trains coming from Naples to Rome. You will see that there are lots of trains leaving each hour. Three in the 4 oclock hour, 2 in the 5 oclock hour, 5 in the 6 oclock hour, 3 in the 8 oclock hour and 2 in both the 7 and 9 oclock hours. You have many options if you decide to wait until you are ready to leave to get your tickets. Just go to the station and buy tickets for the next train heading to Rome.

Donna

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,945 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pompeii-one way or round trip

For your Trenitalia ticket from Rome to Naples if you buy a ticket ahead of time, you are stuck; your ticket is good jsut for that exact train. if you miss your train you have a finite amount of time to get your ticket reisssued, and you have to wait in line to talk top one of the surly Trenitalia employees at the ticket windows. The trains are not stuffed with people and it is only 1.5 to 2 hour trip. I myself just buy my ticket at the Naples train statrion wehn I get there from the self-serve ticket machine (I have never seen a line at the ticket machines). The machines respond in English, but you need to know the Italain name for your destination (ie ROMA); they take credit cards also. I buy tickets for a train that is leaving at least 20 min into the future. There is a lounge for travelers at the Naples train station so that you don't have to put up with the aggressive vendors and beggars.

As for the Naples-Pompeii leg on the Circumvesuviana, it a commmuter train. No assigned seat and sometimes you have to stand part of the way. Only a 40 min ride to Naples.

4. Re: pompeii-one way or round trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 05:22