We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Michigan
7 posts
Save Topic
Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Hi everyone,

I will have one free day in Rome (adding on an extra day to tour I'm taking). I'd like to do something outside of the city. I was thinking maybe heading west to the coast. It's look like it about 1/2 hour. Any suggestions?

Colosseum Motorcycle Center
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
SPB Tours Mediterranean Rome
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Exclusiveissimo
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

You could visit the old sea port, Ostia Antica. It is a wonderful way to spend a day.

Donna

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Hi Donna,

Thank you for the response. I was already considering the destination because of the history. I didn't know it was near the coast (I thought it was farther inland). I didn't know it was an old port. Are there nice places you recommend to have lunch, etc by the water?

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
37,295 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

It is not on the beach if that is what you are thinking. If you want the beach you will have to continue on the train til you get to the shore. It is really a great site though.

There is a restaurant at the site. It is nothing great but at least you won't starve.

Donna

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

I've just come back from Rome this week and although I've been to Rome more times than I can remember, for the first time we went to Ostia Antica and spent an extremely enjoyable day there. It's very easy to get to – we took the overground train from next to the Piramide metro station (Ostiense) and half an hour and 8 stops later we got off at Ostia Antica station. If you have bought yourself a daily, three day or weekly ticket for the metro/bus in Rome, you can also use this ticket to get to Ostia.

Outside the station is a bridge that goes over the busy main road – go over that bridge and keep going straight, you will eventually reach the site. (Just before the bridge is a really nice little café with outside tables and chairs – we found the sandwiches and drinks here quite reasonable).

The site itself is fantastic, and even larger than I imagined. You can buy a map for 2 euros – I really do suggest that you do this otherwise you will miss the most important bits. The small café/restaurant on site is behind the museum – it's a bit basic, but not too bad.

One of the highlights is the amphitheatre. Unfortunately the stage area was being set up for a "pop" concert that night and so we had to endure masses of speakers and such like but there was a group of young people sitting at the top of the seating area and their master was demonstrating how the sound carried from the stage by quoting Shakespeare – it sounded absolutely magnificent!

Trains are very frequent – 12 an hour in the rush hour and then every 15 minutes. I hope this has whetted your appetite – if you had actually considered this destination then I thoroughly recommended you go. Have a great trip.

Toronto
Level Contributor
182 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Thanks for the detail on Ostia Antica as I am planning to go there in a week or so. I thought that I would bring a packed picnic with us to have at the site. Did you see any indication that this would be allowed or disallowed?

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Totally allowed!! The aforementioned theatre, I think, would be perfect!

edinburgh
Level Contributor
27 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Hi im also going to Rome in October and thought of doing this as a day out. So thanks cos you have answered all the questions i had intended to ask and have convinced me to go .x

Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

Thank you for the response!

9. Re: Rome - any suggested sights by the coast?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2010, 06:20