We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best pizza in Rome

mullica hill, nj
Level Contributor
171 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
best pizza in Rome

While in Rome recently we were looking for really good pizza from a wood fired oven. "Pizzeria da Baffetto" was rated #1. It was very crowded, so we asked to purchase a beer while we waited. They said no, we just had to wait. So I went next door and purchased 2 beers. We were hollered at several times about not waiting in the correct spot, then they screamed at us for having beers, when our table was ready, one guy said we could finish our beer at the table, the other screamed at us for bring them in. My daughter speaks Italian, so she could understand them cursing at us. We wanted to leave at that point but our friends wanted to stay. The pizza was just average at best, but the service and the way we were treated was totally rude. They even demanded a tip. My advise is not to bother with this place.

If you want really excellent pizza go to "Mariotti" outside of the subway stop at Spagna. Grab a slice of the best pizza outside of Naples.

California
Level Contributor
59 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best pizza in Rome

Hi there. Just returned from Italy & I had heard and read such great things about Pizzera da Baffetto so we got there one night when they were just opening (to avoid having to stand in line). My husband & I agree with your review; we thought their pizza was mediocre at best. Couldn't figure out why all the glowing reviews. We ate pizza all over Italy and at the end of the trip we both agreed that the pizza at Baffetto was the worst we'd had.

New Hartford, New...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
2,068 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best pizza in Rome

Our friends visit Rome regularly (she is from Milan) and this is their all time favorite place for pizza. We just returned from Italy but were too busy our day in Rome to try for ourselves. But I want to pass this along:

"I Butteri Pizza Griglia & Co."

Piazza Regina Margherita 28/29, Roma Tel./Fax. 06/8548130

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best pizza in Rome

Thankyou very much for the tip about takeaway at the Spagna metro stop- I'd not heard of Mariotti, will give them a try on my next visit in November.

You really do have to take some of the reviews on Trip Advisor not too seriously, for accomodation too, but its very surprising about the very highly rated Pizzeria Baffetto, which has a good reputation and has been there a very long time.

The solution, perhaps, is not to rely too much on what you read on the web.

Rome
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best pizza in Rome

You can eat the best pizza in Rome at Bir&Fud.

It is located in via Benedetta 23, near piazza Trilussa, in Trastevere area.

Their pizza is made with organic ingredients and their excellent beers are produced in small Italian breweries.

Here you can see a video I took 3 months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYBJYLsBrAo

Also at PizzaRe, near piazza Navona, I got a very good Neapolitan style pizza.

http://www.pizzare.it/

Once my wife and I went at Da Baffetto.

We waited in line for 45 minutes and then got a charred bottom pizza served at a tiny table to share with 2 other people.

I think the only reason of its polularity is not for the quality of their pizza or for their service, but for their extensive advertisement in the guide books and on the web.

England
Level Contributor
2 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best pizza in Rome

I agree. My friend is a "pizza connoisseur" and had been researching pizza restaurants for weeks to find the best places to eat, for different types of pizza. We got to Baffetto early, so didn't have the queue or major overcrowding problems - although we were seated outside, in a filthy street, with a lot of other people at a long bench like table.

The pizza was very disappointing, the soggiest and most tasteless I had throughout my stay. It would not have surprised me if they'd taken them out of the local supermarket freezer cabinet rather than making them on the premises.

I have no idea how they managed to get to be number 1, we didn't go back and I've been trying to persuade my friend to warn people on the various pizza forums he's a member of not to believe the hype. It wasn't expensive, but wasted money as far as I was concerned.

Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best pizza in Rome

Haven't tried da Baffetto as it always had queues outside it. Nearby is Piazza del Fico where da Francesco pizzeria is, and where I have eaten quite a few times and had great, fresh light based pizza. The one with buffalo mozzarella and mountain ham was my favourite. Only ever had to queue once and that was late on a Saturday night.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best pizza in Rome

Was in Rome 16-23 Sept and da Franscesco was closed. Windows had paper up so you couldn't see inside - might be that it's just being decorated - let's hope so!!

california
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best pizza in Rome

I think the best pizza in Rome is at The Montecarlo, just around the corner from da Baffetto. This is for sit down, wood fired pizza.

The best pizza al taglio, in my opinion, is at a place right off of the Piazza della Rotunda. I don't know the name of it, but if you are standing in the square, with the Pantheon to your back, facing McDonalds, there is a street that goes off of the piazza to your left, right in line with McDonalds. The first pizza place on the right has THE MOST AMAZING pizza al patate IN THE WORLD!!! You must try it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best pizza in Rome

We really loved Dar Poeta, in Trastevere:

fodors.com/world/…review-38462.html

10. Re: best pizza in Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2010, 07:18