We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome ideas please

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rome ideas please

Hello all,

Me and my wife are going to Rome later on this month. I really want the Rome feeling and just would like to know what you would recommend.

Would you get a taxi from the airport to hotel or train for the experience.

What tours are the best i have read so many and they just get more and more confusing.

I have also read about this Roma Pass. Anyone had one or recommend anything.

Thanks,

Dave,

Essex.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,562 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome ideas please

I use the Roma passes every time I go to Rome. I love ruins and msueums and they are a great deal for me

http://www.romapass.it/p.aspx?l=en&tid=2

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome ideas please

Personally, I would want to get to my hotel as soon as possible and with the least possible stressors. Hence, I would either grab a taxi or ask the hotel to arrange for a car transport.

If you have never been, then you should probably plan on visiting Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel and the Colosseum/Roman Forum. I always recommend checking out Rome Walks (google the name) and see what tours are offered during your visit. Rome Walks do small group tours of 8-10 people lead by incredible docents.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,719 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome ideas please

I almost always take the train into Rome, not for the experience, but because it's convenient and cheaper than a taxi (unless you're a group of three or four people). If there's a lot of traffic, it's also faster. There are actually two trains, and which one you take depends on where your hotel is.

The Roma Pass is a good deal if you're planning to see more than one of the major sites in Rome, *or* if you're staying far from the center and need to use public transportation a lot.

I always see the city on my own with the help of a good guide book, so I can't help with tours.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome ideas please

Thank you for your replys I think i will try the train instead of taxi. I dont want to see another cars rear in traffic jams i do enough of that at work. Anyway they say when in rome do as the romans do. What do they do. I'm sure they dont just look at the sites...........

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rome ideas please

Dave, lucky you - my favourite city, and a very nice time of year to be there!

Just to check, as you've not said.... Rome has two airports but if you're considering taking the train then you're presumably landing at Leonardo di Vinci at Fiumicino, and not at Ciampino?

You might want to see how far it is to your hotel from the nearest railway station you can get to from the airport - when coming from London to Fiumicino we usually took a taxi both ways, not only for speed and to enjoy the view, but also to cut out the hassle of getting the rest of the way whilst laden down with all our bags, money, passports, cameras etc etc.

The Roma Pass is definitely worthwhile if you'll be visiting the sites and museums, and so is getting a download of their bilingual "News" PDF, as it lists many current exhibitions etc that won't be in any guidebook:

http://www.romapass.it/doc/news.pdf

And think about getting the TimeOut 'Rome' guide, which I've found to have just about the best mix of current info and background stuff - but perhaps first look to see whether your local library has a copy!

You may find some ideas for places to visit amongst the pictures I've posted here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/lazio

Peter

uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rome ideas please

Dave - you lucky thing!! Just came back from my second visit to Rome a couple of weeks back. Has to be the best place I've ever been!

You haven't said where you're staying. Both times I've been, I've stayed quite central. First time just round the corner from the Pantheon, and most recently just round the corner from the Trevi Fountain. On both trips, we were able to walk everywhere and didn't use public transport at all. A lot of the major sites are literally within 10-15 minutes walk from each other...and you tend to wander, not route march! You see absolutely masses of things when you walk.

To give you an idea, on my most recent visit which was only 3 nights, this was what we managed to do (all on foot, no problem)

Day 1

Arrived at hotel 12.30 midday.

By 1.30 pm had walked up to Capitoline on Piazza Venezia, had lunch. Did open top Bus Tour from here(great idea to get your bearings and see a few of the main sites)

6pm - 8pm did guided walk of the Heart of Rome... Started at Spanish Steps, then Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Pizza Navona and Campo de Fiori.

Stopped during the walk and had the best ice-cream I've ever tasted.

Day 2

Wandered back to Pantheon, then onto Campo de Fiori for look round the morning market. Wandered over river and called in at the church with the 'Mouth of Truth' attraction, then into Trastevere District - lovely little streets and the beautiful church in the centre. Continued on to Aventine Hill to have a peep through the 'Secret Keyhole'!! Walked back to the hotel, past the Colosseum.

Spent the evening in Piazza Navona (a MUST!) - see the wonderful artists with their work, and human statues! They're fascinating! Be careful about eating here - very expensive (but we did it anyway!).

Day 3

Vatican and St Peters - fantastic day.

Took a lovely walk from hotel taking in several places of interest, and got to St Peters Square about 9.30am to meet tour. Tour takes you through the main part of the Museums, ending up in the Sistine Chapel. You spend the rest of the day wandering round St Peters Square, and the Basilica (which is just awesome). You can go in and see where the Popes are buried - and if you get the time, go up the Dome (Cupola) for the view - it's worth it.

On both my visits I used Angel Tours. They are not cheap, but if you've never been to Rome, worth every penny. The guides know their stuff, and make it fun and interesting. They have their own Website and get back to you by Email quite quickly.

I have used them for the 'Heart of Rome' walk, the Colosseum and Forum, and the Vatican.

As you can see, we packed a lot into 3 days, and all on foot as well. Every corner you turn in Rome, there's something to see, and if you can walk, you'll get so much out if it.

Have a wonderful time.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rome ideas please

Peter sounds like you had a great time. Just looked at Angel tours looks like they are the ones for us. Did you do the electric car tour.

Thanks Peter saved me so much time.

Dave,

Essex.

Canberra
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rome ideas please

Dave,

You are so lucky. Rome is wonderful. My husband and I were there for 4 days in May this year and loved every second. If you are staying somewhere central you will find that walking is the best way to go, although a bit tiring it really gives you the feel of the city.

I seond everything Hornplayer suggested especially the Trastavere area (absolutely beautiful especially at night with great restaurants and don't miss Villa Borghese gardens.

We also took the Antica open air bus to the Appian Way which was a highlight for us. Its about half an hour out of Rome and an ancient road with amazing ruins and catacombs at different points along the way. We hired bikes and road right along the road (about 5 kms) then had a great lunch at a little restaurant where we hired the bikes, really lovely.

I would just say don't take too many tours just stroll the city and take it all in.

Have fun

Smithy Canberra Australia

9. Re: Rome ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2010, 05:17