We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
430 posts
95 reviews
Save Topic
1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

Hi all,

Going to Rome for the second time in September 2010 and would like to stay at a quality B&B. There are 1100 listed in Rome! Too many to choose from without some inside opinions. I realize there are reviews for many, but I much prefer (and more highly value) recommendations from the forums.

What we're looking for:

Max Money - 200ishUSD per night

Four of us - two rooms

Room type - modern but with historical character

Area - Open to suggestions (We're here for four nights)

Accommodations - En Suite, Satellite, & Internet (I know its Rome but we work in TV)

Proprietors - Its all about service in a B&B, so professionalism is very important to us.

Anything else - the Sun Moon and the stars :>)

Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

PS - All four of us are in our mid-thirties. Two entertainment professionals, and two musicians. Sober (sadly), and hoping to say with others in our age group.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

Wow, no thoughts, anyone?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

You can refine your TA search which will make it easy for you. Just enter your max price range and that you want a B&B (as opposed to a hotel) on the left hand side of the page and it will organize the places from best rated to worst.

P.S. You will automatically rule many out by limiting the search to $US200. Your dollar is obviously weaker than the Euro and Italy is generally pretty expensive.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

Thanks Clumsle. And you're right, the search tools do narrow the field, but I still much prefer real-time, forum derived opinions.

Please don't flame me for the observation, I've been around for a while and even posted 30-some reviews. But reams and reams of 1-post, 5-star reviews worry me. Sadly, it seems a good deal of the reviews posted for B&B's in Rome are one post, five star type from folks that only show up once to waggle-up those five stars and then disappear. With 1100 reviews to wade through (well maybe 500), there's just no time to evaluate how many are authentic and how many are "sock-puppets"

Which, by the way, is why the forums are so fantastic!

I think its early morning in Rome now, so hopefully I'll get a few recommendations...its 7pm here here in SoCal.

Peace,

~m

Melbourne
Level Contributor
53 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

I do agree with you. It's very hard to know what the real story is. Most of it is up to personal preference, which differs as much as black and white.

I have just been through what you are starting and have ended up booking The Stendhal for this November. Leaving your booking until to last month means you can haggle more on the price so you can get more for your money. Don't be affraid to ask for a specific room (ie: better than basic) and ask them directly if they will accept $X for it. All they can say is no, and if hey do you can either bargain from there or move on. I assure you that sometimes they say yes!

Happy traveling :)

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

First of all, a general observation. B&Bs are fairly new to Italy, and they tend to be very much like low-category hotels, but much smaller. You might want to consider a boutique hotel if you don't find a B&B that suits your criteria. i think that especially the satellite TV and internet (I assume you mean Wifi?) would be rare in a B&B. Wifi is not very common in Rome anyway; you're much more likely to find a computer in a public space that you can use.

As far as specific suggestions, I can't help much. I tend to stay in budget hotels, and usually don't even turn on the TV when I'm in Rome.

This web site at least has reliable reviews, because they only accept reviews from people who have reserved through them and actually ended up staying in the hotel:

http://www.venere.com/italy/rome/

You might want to select the historic center as the area to stay; however, parts of the Porta Portese neighborhoods are not very central so consult the map. They don't deal much in B&s, and some of them have only one or two reviews, which means the guest might have been the owner's friend or relative,

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
34,545 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

I agree with Barb about using venere.com. You can find a few hotels, B&B's or apartments that you like and then ask on the forums about any first hand knowledge of them. Your budget of 200ish for 2 rooms is not a lot. You will probably have to stay near the termini or the vatican to get that rate. I can't help you with a specific name as I always stay at a hotel that is outside the city.

Donna

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
430 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

Thanks all for the input. I have looked at Venere, but never reserved with them.

Regarding the cost we can afford, I meant to say 200-250 per night, per room. So 400-500 a day.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

Hi PastorCat

A couple of years ago I stayed in a B&B in Trastevere called Il Boom. It had three large rooms ... well, here's the link to their website so you can see. I can thoroughly recommend this B&B, and whilst it is a little bit out of town, there is a bus stop right outside which goes to the centre. http://www.ilboom.it/english/home_en.html

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
3,377 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1100 B&B's! Can you help us choose.

must you have a B&B? if not, let me show you what I'm in love with, right near the Patheon, it has two-bedrooms,

romecapitalapartments.com/apartment-dettagli…

I have stayed at their place called "Adriana" and I am booked for my March stay at their Bernini,

have fun, :)